Which wrist/arm to wear dive computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems my left arm is always busy with bouyancy control. Does it make sense to use right arm for dive computer ?
I wear it there and it makes sense for me. My compass sits next to it, just up-arm. Although that means my wrist-mounted slate's on my left wrist and I've had to learn to write right-handed (I'm naturally left-handed) underwater.

Don't ask me why I do it this way, don't ask me to 'splain. It just all works for me. Try a few iterations and see what works for you.

-Bryan

PS. Aquamaster's comment is spot-on. You should not be "busy" with buoyancy control. Be proactive, think about where you are in the water column, focus on the small floating stuff to check whether you're sinking or rising, listen to your ears, use smaller and more frequent adjustments, do some actual in-water weighting checks. The best compliment I ever received was, "How come I never see you adjusting your buoyancy?"

I usually wear it on my left wrist on the inside of the wrist as opposed to the outside like a watch. Mainly because I am holding onto my video camera housing and it doesn't take much for me to twist my wrist a little to read my info. Though Lead_turn said it best about wearing it on right or left...

I don't normally need to hold my left arm extended up to dump air as I ascend or descend so wearing it on my left wrist doesn't bother me. I typically can stare right at my wrist while holding my dump valve and can pull to release air or push the button to add air as needed...and since I am right handed...I tend to grab more with my right which is why my first computer got so scratched up and I moved it to my left...

My left arm is where my watch lives, so my computer lives on my right.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, I'll try on my right. You're correct about boyancy control, I've got a lot to learn. I got into a lot of trouble with a free descent, where I fell to the bottom like a stone. I had major ear pain.

I learned to be much more careful with free descent, but I still had trouble reading dive computer for depth because left arm so busy trimming descent. Hence the question.

Tough way to learn by trial and error, not much room for too many errors.

Also found out that my mask doesn't give me easy access to my nose for equalization with 7mm gloves. Controlled descent is the best answer, but looking for a better mask for equalization with heavy gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom