While chilling in Port Ghalib...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moorish8idol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks!

I will be doing a liveaboard out of Marsa Alam (Port Ghalib) in August and am wondering if you have any tips or recommendations on where to hang out/chill while waiting to get on the boat and later while waiting to head to the airport.

I arrive on a Saturday around 2 p.m. and can't board the boat until 5 p.m. I have my visa already and no checked luggage so hoping I might be able to get out of the airport without too much of a delay. Any safe, friendly spot with some decent food/drinks and wifi where I can bide my time?

Same goes for the way out. We have to check out of the boat by 8 am on the following Saturday and I leave at about quarter to 3. Would anyway recommend the nearby hotels in terms of paying a day rate to use the pools or am I better off just finding a friendly spot to have a very long breakfast?

Final question: assuming I have no bags to check, how much time do I need to get through security and border patrol at the Marsa Alam airport these days? Obviously I don't want to miss my flight but I'd like to avoid spending a long time in a crowded and unpleasant airport with nothing to do.

Cheers!

Hi,

Port Ghalib is small everything is within walking distance, it’s also a modern holiday resort at the same time. The boat leaves right from the promenade literally within a few meters there are cafés, restaurant and bars, no need to go into details you’ll see for yourself when you get there. Extra Divers have a shop there on the promenade just in case you need some dive stuff. Opposite the boat gaz station there is a small grocery store you can buy candy etc.

Marsa Alam International is a modern state of the art airport, it is very small and a very pleasant one at the same time , you’ll be out in a breeze and provided you have transport waiting ( there is no taxi rank ) you’ll be at the Port within 1 hour of disembarking. To get back is another story as the security is V E R Y tight, it is recommended you be there at least 2 hours before departure. Buy your souvenirs in the departure hall, there is quite a choice and prices are fixed. This is not a crowded airport at all never seen more than 2 flights at the same time ! August you say, that's European summer holiday high season, there could be 3 aircraft and yes could be busy.

Take small $ bills 1, 5, 10 nobody has change ! You can get Egyptian Pounds ( LE ) at the ATM in the arrival hall.

. . . . and don’t forget this is what you look like in their eyes
walking-dollar.png

Happy diving and mind the sharks ( the ones on land )

Usually, there will be someone waiting you at the airport on arrival.

For departure, the diving center usually drives you back to the airport.

Marsa Alam is not a crowded airport, last time I went there, (oct 2017, high season for liveaboards) there was 1 plane departing, nobody arriving...

Back
Top Bottom