Whiskers helpful with Adjustable Force Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narcotic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen conflicting information regarding the need/usefulness of the various Force Wings on the Original style Force Fins. I've considered adding Whiskers to my Adjustables, specifically for added thrust when swimming against a current for instance, but I'm confused. Does the fin design make them redundant? Is there a noticeable difference in performance with or without Wings?

TIA

Narcotic, now I get it, with the whiskers they are 10 percent negative. This advanced technology is better that the rubber band fin. The adjustable wiglets allow you to change the blade performance by using the water flow. Year's ago (1980) I played with some rubber spear gun tubing on the Fab Force, which was a fin made from several types of fabric. The idea was to change the fin blade stiffness by stretching the rubber tubing or letting the pull go making a softer fin blade...but it was still the same surface area moving Thur the water and I was worried the rubber bands would fail over time...and they do. Thinking further I had my friend Bob Kirby ( Kirby-Morgan diving helmets fame) shape me the original whiskers we now use. My idea was to use a wing shaped device that could be used to move and change water flow dynamics. Skin Diver Magazine covered this concept back in the early 90's, yet today it is often over looked as a way to change fin performance. This concept is on several Force fin models. Your a fan, take free shipping and a 15 discount by calling us next week. If your not happy to can always return them for a full refund. Hopefully we can cover more on this Force fin advancement.

Thanks for the kind offer Bob.

So, just so I understand correctly, the weight of the Whiskers will counteract the buoyancy of the bungee strap and I will end up with net 10 percent negative fins? That way I could keep my bungee straps and eliminate ankle weights and fix my bonefish profile? If so, sounds like a win-win.

Thanks!

sure the whisker will improve the vectoring on any fin. The adjustable is no different, Although I don't like Whisker on adj. FF. I would recommend the Shark Teeth, which I think Bob has pictured in the combo on the website. They offer less vectoring, but all the stability that you can ever desire and still have enough vectoring without making the feel of the fin being ruined

Back
Top Bottom