Whistling sound coming from my Oceanic EOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,
Granted it can be noisy but the fact is that the street price of the regs that come equipped with that first stage are among the least expensive of those considered to be perfect breathing (virtual zero effort) on the breathing effort machine. It also had the best record of the last NOAA trials for cold water regs and this against regs far more expensive. Good reasons that NOAA adopted them for use. So how do you claim it to be a gimmick that just added $100 to the cost? The street price of the DIN version isn't $100 less. It's there for a reason and that is to help protect this environmentally sealed first stage from moisture intrusion while swapping tanks and rinsing the regulator. It is part of the reason this regulator is as reliable as it has proven to be.

This should be a non issue.

This should be a non issue.

I agree it should be in a perfect world where every person that handles the reg set properly dries and uses the reg cap when rinsing gear and swapping tanks but that isn't the case we don't live in a perfect world. So in actuality this gismo that doesn't seem to add a significant additional cost to this reg may indeed increase it's reliability. IMHO it should be retained not removed. It would be better to see about what else can be done to control the noise if it is the culprit why?

I agree it should be in a perfect world where every person that handles the reg set properly dries and uses the reg cap when rinsing gear and swapping tanks but that isn't the case we don't live in a perfect world. So in actuality this gismo that doesn't seem to add a significant additional cost to this reg may indeed increase it's reliability. IMHO it should be retained not removed. It would be better to see about what else can be done to control the noise if it is the culprit why?

Totally agree...

Elsewhere, It is coming from the DVT valve. If you send your reg to Oceanic, they will adjust it for you.
By the way, I have found that Oceanic generally charges LESS than dive shops charge for an annual service, and Oceanic does a better job. They fixed my noisy DVT valves and my EOS is perfect now.

Oh yes, the DVT valve is not a gimmick. It is very useful. However, adjustment of that valve, and the spring tension on it, is VERY precise. Have only Oceanic do it for you as it's just a 'guessing game' for a dealer.

Oh yes, the DVT valve is not a gimmick. It is very useful. However, adjustment of that valve, and the spring tension on it, is VERY precise. Have only Oceanic do it for you as it's just a 'guessing game' for a dealer.

Are you saying that during Oceanic's very detailed 4 hour seminars they cannot teach Oceanic techs to make that "VERY precise" adjustment?

Hey guys. It ended up being the dvt valve being a bit too tight so it create a whistle effect. I'm all good now. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly agree with Jim Lapenta.

Call me old school but I don't want all kinds of bells and whistles (in this case literally a whistle) that don't directly contribute to the performance or reliability of the regulator.

My buddy has an Aqualung regulator with one of those anti-idiot things on it too. Last time we did maintenance on our regs he showed me how it comes apart. All I can say is.... nnnnooooo! Anything with a bunch of unnecessary moving parts and o-rings gives me the heebejeebies. It's a regulator, not a space shuttle. The fewer parts it has, the better.

And as we can see in this case, it can and will cause more problems than it solves. Sometimes less is more... and these anti-idiot devices are a creation of manufacturers who are looking for more "function points" to put into their product so people can get sucked into thinking that they are better. But they are not better. Personally, I'd pay more for a reg that *didn't* have one.

R..

Let's see: Even though the designers tell me that I could only see the difference on a machine that gives a flow loop at depth, I should pay extra for an obstruction to HP flow from my tank when I'm using my equipment, just because I'm too stupid or lazy to soak my regs pressurized, or ensure that the dust plug is screwed down tight during the time I'm NOT using my equipment? I don't think so.

Yeah, I'll service them for my customers, but I take it out of my own reg.
(Oceanic factory trained technician)

Just bend the spring gently so it's a little curved in the yoke fitting. One coil resting against the yoke bolt will dampen the vibration while not significantly changing the spring tension. Factory seminar recommended technique. But don't do it unless you're going to use a torque wrench to re-attach your yoke bolt. SB'ers who rebuild "by feel" are a danger to us all, when they dump their gear on EBay.
20131106_113832.jpg

Attachments

• 20131106_113832.jpg
    20131106_113832.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 80
Iv'e got the same issue and it's not the DVT (I've already had that adjusted and the problem persists).

it starts to whistle at ~15m below and gets worse the further you go down. I'm taking it back to where I got it for some TLC the servicing tech has had a go and not it's someone elses turn. if that doesn't fix it Oceanic will be getting a phone call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom