white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do you find that you have to set the white balance more often in quarries where the vis is not so great?

I am new to diving, but i shoot fotos ofkitesurfers and when i snorkel. I have an EOS 300D an so i shoot my fotos in RAW Format, so i can chose the WB later on my PC.

Greetings from Germany
Asta

For those of us without RAW...

Here in SoCal I change the WB frequently--especially right now as we've got some lingering clouds of red tide. You should reset anytime your available light changes (depth, shadows, clouds overhead...) This is more important when going from less light to more light because otherwise you'll end up with a red cast to all your pics (very tough to eliminate in PS.)

I have an a70 and setting white balance is so easy that I do it pretty often. I don't have additional flashes and don't want to screw up the picture with tiny internal flash. It only illuminates the debris. So if light changes at all I reset the white balance. Better to do it too often than get blue pictures. On the other hand when you get to lower depths or you get more light you need to reset white balance to avoid getting all red pictures.

Back
Top Bottom