Whitestar Quarry - October 19, 20, 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_paula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all.

I'll be spending the weekend of 10/19-21 at Whitestar Quarry. There will be a group camping both Friday and Saturday nights. And a larger group diving on Sat and Sun.

We'll be having a potluck dinner on Saturday with the main dish provided. & my local club's annual pumpkin carving contest. (Pretty loose rules with this one.)

If you want to join in on the fun let me know. Or just say "Hey" at the quarry.

Paula

Dates in title and original post updated.

My club needed to change the weekend to October 19-21st. Hope this works out for people.

Paula

Hey Paula! I'll miss this one, but with any luck I'll earn my advanced pumpkin carving merit badge sometime this year anyway!

Hey Paula! I'll miss this one, but with any luck I'll earn my advanced pumpkin carving merit badge sometime this year anyway!

hmmm... skippin' basic and going for advanced? Or straight from basic to advanced with no carvin' between? :no

Paula

I recieved this email from my local shop this week....

Let me know if you and your club are interested.
pc

The season has arrived, it's time for UNDERWATER PUMPKIN CARVING!!!
This fun event will be held at White Star Quarry Sun October 21 starting at 10am.
Bring a pumpkin, a dive knife and lets go dive. Food and refreshments will be provided.

Rules for the contest: 1. Must use any scuba diving knife (can be modified).
2. All carving must be done on the platforms (for safety).
3. Pumpkin carvings must be completed on 1 tank of air on 1 dive.
4. Divers choice: Pumpkins can be hollowed out on land or in the water.
5. After the pumpkin is carved you may add anything to it that will
complete your design.
6. You may have the design traced out before the dive.

Tip: Pumpkins float... so you'll need to figure out how to get it down and keep it down to carve on ( a weight inside helps a bit).

There will be a sign up sheet being made that will help me plan for food and drinks so give us a call and reserve your spot.

All contest entries will be brought back to the store and proudly displayed. Your fellow divers will vote which design is the best.

I look forward to seeing you there,

Sean

hmmm... skippin' basic and going for advanced? Or straight from basic to advanced with no carvin' between? :no

Alas, the Gilboa pumpkin carving (Oct 20) will be held the same day as my flight home. Since wheels won't touch the ground until 5-6PM, I'll miss the carving and most likely the night dive. So my advanced pumpkin carving specialty will have to wait for next year. :(

I will actually be there that weekend getting my advanced cert. I have always stayed at the Holiday Inn down the road but It's expensive and not very nice. Do you camp right across from the Quarry? If not where do you reccomend?

Thanks
Shane

I will actually be there that weekend getting my advanced cert. I have always stayed at the Holiday Inn down the road but It's expensive and not very nice. Do you camp right across from the Quarry? If not where do you reccomend?

Thanks
Shane

Hi Shane.

Yes, we camp in the Sandusky County camping ground across from the Quarry. Come on over and camp / socialize with us. It's pit toilets just like at the quarry but they are always clean. There is running water in the large bathroom as well as a few pumps here and there between camp sites. & 2 tents or 1 camper + tent on a site so you can split the cost if you want.

I'm not sure which area we'll set up in. Most of us use the non-electrical sites and couple use the newer electrical hookups. I have a red Escape and a burgandy & grey tent if that helps.

Looking forward to meeting you either way.

Paula

Ill look for you at the quarry. How many are in your group? We have some open water students coming down and me so there will only be about 5 of us. Our luck it will be the storm or the century on Sat. night. I'm going to play it by ear and see how the weather looks for camping. Four great dives in the St. Clair river this weekend. The weather was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom