Solved: Who am I talking to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
lowviz

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...

Me to. Philly underdog. We had some fun these last few days.

Yes, I do dive. My last cert was in Temagami, Ont. UDT Diving.

Don't take it personally, I may have overstated my case. Bottom line, I like to know who I am talking to. I'll leave it there as the majority of posters on this board are professionals and I've been informed that I've crossed a line...

Over and out.

Me to. Philly underdog. We had some fun these last few days.

Yes, I do dive. My last cert was in Temagami, Ont. UDT Diving.

Don't take it personally, I may have overstated my case. Bottom line, I like to know who I am talking to. I'll leave it there as the majority of posters on this board are professionals and I've been informed that I've crossed a line...

Over and out.

This is kind of like when in September 2017, I blasphemed by suggesting that Instructors get "reviewed" periodically to ensure that some level of educational standard be maintained. You would have thought that I had said that Jesus and Lucifer were one and the same. I had been on SB just a very short time, and I got blasted like Hiroshima. Also, I have a somewhat dry and morbid sense of humor. On several occasions I have poked fun at someone and/or their comments, and they thought I was committing a hate crime and reported me and my posts were deleted.
My conclusion: Everyone on SB is an expert. Do not question anything anyone says, at least in writing. Just go along and get along. After a while, you'll figure out who knows what they are talking about. Everyone else is just noise.

This will probably be deleted for being off topic so read fast.

Cheers -

This is kind of like when in September 2017, I blasphemed by suggesting that Instructors get "reviewed" periodically to ensure that some level of educational standard be maintained
I would love this

...Bottom line, I like to know who I am talking to. I'll leave it there as the majority of posters on this board are professionals...
Professionals? You mean like taxi drivers? After all, they drive for a living. They ARE professional drivers.

If you want to know "who" posters are then you can either read some of their posts and form your own opinion on the net worth of their credentials, or you are free to PM them and get their version of reality.

Regardess, when was the last time that you heard anyone saying that there was no reason to get a second opinion from another doctor or lawyer? And those kind of people are REAL professionals, unlike taxi drivers, or dive instructors.

There are lots of highly "certified" posters on SB. There are also lots of knowledgable posters on SB. Some are POV warriers. Some are very opinionated. Some just provide facts.

The feedback and information we all gain from SB is worth wvery penny we pay for it...

@The Chairman

Dear sir,
Would you consider making dive professionals (DM and above) immediately distinct from 'just divers' on this fine social board? I gain a lot of insight by being able to determine the 'flavor' of the poster and have recently been greatly surprised to learn of their professional status. I find this to be most unsettling.

It matters. You (posters) are or aren't posting as a professional. The unwashed massed don't always know this. Your SB persona does not reflect this as it should. No, we aren't all the same. Professionalism comes with obligations, titles, and transparency.

Show yourselves...
Why? I have 10 times your experience and I am certain I have a lot more knowledge from my experiences diving as far south as Tasmania and north as Norway and all the tropical locations in between.

Why should your comments be considered more important/correct than mine just because you chose to become a divemaster/instructor?

A professional rating from any agency means sfa. It’s something you can get in a drug fuelled backpacking holiday through Thailand for a grand.Take the time to observe and you quickly find out who is worth listening too. I agree with Michael, I would take advice from him over almost every instructor I have met. Hardcore divers with real passion and thirst for knowledge are important to these forums and Can be a goldmine of information regardless or pro rating.

There are lots of highly "certified" posters on SB. There are also lots of knowledgable posters on SB.

Indeed. A certification does not provide knowledge.

I should think that you divers would have more respect for the difference between certifications and wisdom. :)

As an engineer myself, the fact that he threw in the code of conduct of a PE as a comparison is laughable. This is a FREE message board were personal opinions. If you want no **** professional advice, then go down to your LDS and pay someone for it.
You keep saying people want it both ways. Seems like you fall into that category as well. You want the "professional" advice without paying for it.

Back
Top Bottom