Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba:
Been to Bonaire now 6 times. Have never had anything stolen and always lock my rental truck. I buy the added $15 insurance and don't orry about it. One time in St. Croix I did not buy insurance and got hit with an extra $500 for a transmission pan when I hit a rock...allegedly. Learned a lesson and always buy the added insurance. Love Bonaire. They could steal my truck, towels and sunglasses from inside and I will still go back....give me a break.

Yeah, really.

The trip ends up costing at least $2000/person for airfare, hotel, meals, etc. If somebody steals $10 worth of stuff from the truck, all it means is that now the vacation cost $2010.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Yeah, really.

The trip ends up costing at least $2000/person for airfare, hotel, meals, etc. If somebody steals $10 worth of stuff from the truck, all it means is that now the vacation cost $2010.

Terry

What if your trip went from $2000 pp to $2500 for a transmission pan the rental agency said you broke, when you know you did not, or they charge you $250 for a spare tire that got stolen? Would you still feel the same way? What if crooks broke into you apt and stole your stuff while you slept or were out to dinner?

pilot fish:
What if your trip went from $2000 pp to $2500 for a transmission pan the rental agency said you broke, when you know you did not, or they charge you $250 for a spare tire that got stolen? Would you still feel the same way? What if crooks broke into you apt and stole your stuff while you slept or were out to dinner?

I get insurance for the rental truck, and homeowners covers all the stuff in the apartment. It would suck a little, but wouldn't stop me from vacationing there.

Someone stole the car right out of my driveway at home, but I didn't stop going home at night.

Terry

Web Monkey:
I get insurance for the rental truck, and homeowners covers all the stuff in the apartment. It would suck a little, but wouldn't stop me from vacationing there.

Someone stole the car right out of my driveway at home, but I didn't stop going home at night.

Terry

Not everyone has that degree of theft tolerance. Even when you purchase theft ins you still get stuck with the deductables, which is the part that hurts.

Well you can put me down for a pair of O'Neil board shorts out of the front of a pickup parked up on the beach when I did a shore dive on the Hilma Hooker - drove around the island for 2 weeks hoping to spot someone wearing them - Never found the shorts but did find a friends (he's a local) bicycle that was stolen form his house!!!. Boy i miss those shorts! ;-)

Bonaire is my favorite vacation spot. I have never had anything stolen. I have always felt safe on Bonaire which I can't say for some of the other islands I have visited. Just use common sense safety precautions, lock your condo, leave car unlocked at dive sites.

I left my dive computer, regulator, etc on dock at Den Laman for 6 hrs. (had a brain fart) and was amazed they were still there!

The worse place I have ever been for theft is Costa Rica. Almost everyone on the plane on the way back had something stolen while on vacation.

I was in Bonaire July 7-21, staying the first week at Captain Don's Habitat.

2 members of my group (separate rooms) were robbed at Habitat; one couple lost $700.00+.

All the police could do was to indicate that it was "probably an inside job".

Filling out those police reports means missing dives. They will never get back their $$.

Use those room safes!

:coffee:

pilot fish:
Not everyone has that degree of theft tolerance. Even when you purchase theft ins you still get stuck with the deductables, which is the part that hurts.

That insurance also DOESN'T cover window breakage.

Recommend skipping insurance.

:coffee:

I understand the stance of those who have never had a problem.

I also understand the frustration of those who have had something stolen....

Regardless, it's evident that considerable crime/theft still occurs on the island. Like the others said, with on ly 14,000 residents on the island, it's essentially a small town. Perhaps the size of Mayberry. I'm confident that even Andy and Barney could solve this crime problem in a short matter of time. Yet the Bonaire police haven't?

The fact that the police in Bonaire haven't solved it just shows for some reason, it's not important to them.

It doesn't get any more simple than this....

(however it hasn't caused mass amounts of peole to quit coming, so I doubt we'll see any change.... no matter how much we fuss...)

Mike et al,

Let me explain something, and please no one take offense on what I have to say. It is important to get the point across.

Police here DO solve crimes here often. I think the whole thing is a misunderstanding of what is done here, and how the system works, especially because we are such a small island.

1. Since it is a small island word travels VERY fast. "Criminals can get off the island VERY fast" on Bonaire, and quietly if they knew that the police where "hot" on their trails. Therefore, the police's every move and every lead cannot be broadcasted in the newspaper, radio and television here on Bonaire.

2. The majority of "tourist" crimes are NOT committed by Bonaireans, not that we don't have a few (as they call themselves) "opportunists" on the island, but the majority are "rings" from other parts of the caribbean that sneak on to Bonaire in the dead of night (as I said for security reasons I cannot go into detail).

3. How the system works: Which is in the process of being addressed with the change over to Holland, these are big time "loop-holes" in the system. Let's say John Smith robs 10 houses or resorts. The police only have enough evidence (hard) to convict on 2. He is only sentenced on 2 (innocent until proven guilty). Another is there is no "cumulative effect" (for a better phrase). If you have a career criminal, their past does not come in to play when a criminal is sentenced. There is no "three strike" rule.

Children 17 and under are not prosecuted for criminal activity, they are placed in the custody of their parents or other responsible family members. Often, these "gangs" that are referred to earlier will entice a youngster as young as 6 years old with money, candy, etc to climb through a small window and open a door of a residence or apartment, etc.

To be honest, with 14,000 people on the island we DO HAVE A REALITIVELY LOW CRIME RATE. When you do hear about "crime" on Bonaire, it is usually in a cluster and when a "ring" is active. It is normal for even us living on Bonaire to not hear anything about a crime that is being worked, and then one day pick up the paper and see they have uncovered the ring at 4am in a house our kunuku (rural ranch farm).

I am an American Citizen and a resident of Bonaire. I have been a victim of crime on Bonaire in the past and STILL have faith in our police department, as I have seen other crimes solved, most get their items back, but it can take a while. Of course I don't expect to see the cash that was taken, but I do at some point, expect to see the computer. If you are a tourist, it is important to keep in touch with the police to see if they got anything back. I know of a case that a business was robbed during Regatta and a lot of liquor, beer and cigs were stolen. Can you believe it was recovered and returned 2.5 months later!!!!

If crime was as bad as some say it is (those that do not live here, mainly) I wouldn't be living here! All in all Bonaire IS a mini paradise, and I would not live anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom