Who has the GoPro Backscatter Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a rookie diver and new to the forum. Headed to Islamorada FL (Sea Base) with Boy Scouts for a week of scuba. I am an advanced amateur photographer and do not want to invest in underwater gear until I am more experienced with scuba. I picked up a GoPro and the new dive housing for this trip. I altered a Backscatter Magic Filter (Dremel) to fit the new GoPro dive Housing. A little rough on the first effort, but snap securely into place. I can hardly wait o give out a try.

View attachment 128909

Let me know how this works out. I might try To do this to mine. How did you hold it in place?

I am a rookie diver and new to the forum. Headed to Islamorada FL (Sea Base) with Boy Scouts for a week of scuba. I am an advanced amateur photographer and do not want to invest in underwater gear until I am more experienced with scuba. I picked up a GoPro and the new dive housing for this trip. I altered a Backscatter Magic Filter (Dremel) to fit the new GoPro dive Housing. A little rough on the first effort, but snap securely into place. I can hardly wait o give out a try.

128909-who-has-gopro-backscatter-red-filter-photo.jpg

Divemole, now if you just nip the upper corner out of the stock GoPro cover, you can install it directly over the filter and you have achieved the perfect solution to the whole filter issue.

Let me know how this works out. I might try To do this to mine. How did you hold it in place?

It fits tightly by friction within the black "frame". I have to firmly push it into place to make it flush against the housing glass.

I know that now but I still think its a poor design as the filter does not stay on there secure enough in my opinion. Thats why I want to get a screw on filter..

DO NOT buy the magic red filter. YOU WILL lose it and you will waste your money. I lost my first filter coming out of the water because the bands somehow came off. The colors were great but its useless if it will not stay on. The string that I had tied to the filter was a nuisance getting in front of the lens and eventually came off on its own. I purchased another one with rush shipping before an overseas dive trip and it came off before I even made the first discent in St. Thomas. Returned home, complained to Backscatter and their operations manager emailed me back and offered a whopping 10% discount and free shipping for the same filter. After spending hundreds of dollars with them on their products and 2 filters, I wanted a replacement flip up filter at no cost but Backscatter does not believe there is a design problem with their magic red filter and the rubber band attachment that holds it on. Specifically she said, "I am sorry you feel it is a poor design, we have sold over 2k of these and you are about the only person who has complained about the design. 15% is the max i can give you off."

I have not tried the flip up filter but it seems like a much better design. The flip up filter does NOT work with the backscatter, the flip up filter is designed to fit the original gopro underwater housing.

If you have the backscatter flat port housing, that housing also is a 55mm threaded mount.

Fantasea makes a screw on red filter for blue water diving.

I've used this filter and it works fantastic 20-100 foot deep. You get a slight yellowing effect shallower than 15-20 feet, but colors are fantastic diving deeper.

$50-60 bucks depending on your web source.

Fantasea 5207 RedEye Filter M55

Fantasea Redeye Filter M55 - 55mm Underwater Red Filter 5207

Backscatter as a seller of products has treated me very well and bent over backwards during $1000's of dollars in sales. If you as a diver is losing or dropping their products during use, I think it's very fair for them to even offer you the 10-15% off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom