Who has the GoPro Backscatter Red Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've just come back from Thailand where I tried out the backscatter magic red filter. Useless. Other people were shooting with proper red filters, and getting amazing results. At the same depths, my shots came out like I had no filter on at all.

E.g this is at less than 30feet on a day with 60ft of vis

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1341194821.947407.jpg

I'm also not a fan of the bungied on filter. If the camera ended up in someone's bubble stream, you could end up with little air bubbles trapped on the back of the filter. Had that ruin a couple of videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I've just come back from Thailand where I tried out the backscatter magic red filter. Useless. Other people were shooting with proper red filters, and getting amazing results. At the same depths, my shots came out like I had no filter on at all.

I'm also not a fan of the bungied on filter. If the camera ended up in someone's bubble stream, you could end up with little air bubbles trapped on the back of the filter. Had that ruin a couple of videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
just to be clear ... you tried both the flip up filter (backscatter) and the bungied on filter (oculus)?

SOther people were shooting with proper red filters, and getting amazing results.

Do you know which filter(s)? On what housing(s)?

just to be clear ... you tried both the flip up filter (backscatter) and the bungied on filter (oculus)?

No sorry, I only had the original bungied Backscatter

Do you know which filter(s)? On what housing(s)?

Sorry, i didn't ask, but it was a screw on style. I was too depressed with my results to enquire. The whole gopro thing was a disaster really. First it was locking up all the time (faulty brand new kingston SD card), the mount I used sucked, it ran out of batteries ridiculously quickly if I left the LCD on, and the photo results were disappointing. The video's were good, but on many of them I ended up with air bubbles, or fogging lenses. Those gopro inserts really need a long time in the case to be effective in tropical climates.

This was taken just over a week ago in the Red Sea using the Backscatter filter. It was at about 14m with natural light. Just a screen shot from a video

Screen Shot 2012-07-03 at 13.27.25 - Version 2.jpg

I am a rookie diver and new to the forum. Headed to Islamorada FL (Sea Base) with Boy Scouts for a week of scuba. I am an advanced amateur photographer and do not want to invest in underwater gear until I am more experienced with scuba. I picked up a GoPro and the new dive housing for this trip. I altered a Backscatter Magic Filter (Dremel) to fit the new GoPro dive Housing. A little rough on the first effort, but snap securely into place. I can hardly wait o give out a try.

photo.JPG

I had the red lens and managed to loose it on the boat before even getting in the water the first time. Disappointing really. I would like to get a threaded screw in filter that I can use but I am not sure what the right shade of red the lens needs to be. Any thoughts?

I'm on the Kona Aggressor as I type this, and have the BackScatter housing and port. They are backordered on the Magic Filters, so I couldn't get one before my trip...........but to be honest, I'm not too keen on the flimsey rubber filter retaining bands. Even topside, they have a hard time holding a Polarizing filter firm to the camera.

Having the backscatter housing, it comes with a 55mm threaded lens receiver. Through B&H photo, I was able to buy a Fantasea 55mm threaded filter that is working STUNNINGLY well between 10-60 foot deep with ambient lighting. It's an filter option to think about. I"M SOLD ON IT.

I also made a 20" long Pole Cam mount, with a ULCS ball on the end of it, then a clamp to a ULCS GoPro mount.

Filmed myself during giant stride entries, as well as underwater, and the ULCS allows full 360 tilt of the camera.

This red filter ROCKS, and you can easily thread it on and off underwater, then I keep it in a plastic case in my BCD pocket during entries.

Fantasea Line RedEye Underwater Color Filter for Bluewater 5207

this is the threaded mount red filter, a real underwater filter and not some scabbed together "diving" filter, for the backscatter 55mm flat port lens...............it rocks. stunning colors........I'll take the threaded mount over any bungee cord filter any day............as you well learned.......The bungee cord system for Backscatter even sucks on land, using a polarized filter.......it fell off.

I had the red lens and managed to loose it on the boat before even getting in the water the first time. Disappointing really. I would like to get a threaded screw in filter that I can use but I am not sure what the right shade of red the lens needs to be. Any thoughts?

Use a piece of string to secure the filter to the housing/frame. That's what the tab on the filter is for

Use a piece of string to secure the filter to the housing/frame. That's what the tab on the filter is for

I know that now but I still think its a poor design as the filter does not stay on there secure enough in my opinion. Thats why I want to get a screw on filter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom