Who here has actually been evacuated with DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I were on a two week trip in April of 2013 to Palau (first week) and Yap (second week.) The first week was great, but on the second night of the second week at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel in Yap my wife broke her ankle. Long story, but as soon as the local MD told DAN she needed to be flown back for treatment within 72 hrs in California DAN immediately made the arrangements and paid for both of our return flights via Guam and Hawaii to San Francisco. DAN paid for the tickets (first/bus class.) I have nothing but great things to say about DAN. We also had trip interruption insurance.

Interesting. What, if you don't mind me asking, were the expenses that you ended up having to pay out of pocket and how much was it before you were reimbursed?

I refused to stay in the National Referral Hospital in Honiara (you'd have to be dead already to consider it...), so I had to pick up the hotel bill, private visit fees for the doctor, stuff like that. DAN paid it within a couple of weeks of me getting my **** together to put a claim in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

End result $0. Oh I initially got billed $49,500 for that ride. That's right, almost 50K. That will pay for my DAN insurance for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I can get a 175 nautical mile chopper jaunt for just under $10k out here - that's crazy expensive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Capt.Gary Mace was evacuated from Truk. He'll tell you his story.

Here is the article I wrote for Alert Diver. DAN was there for me when I needed it most and I'll never be without their coverage.
Bent in Chuuk

By Gary Mace
4093.jpg
Deep dives, serious symptoms and a remote location underscore the need for DAN.

We were on a seven-day adventure in Chuuk, Micronesia, diving the wreck capital of the world. Our base of operations was the luxurious liveaboard Odyssey, and most of my fellow divers were alike in skill and dive plans. The majority of us were diving using rebreathers, allowing for longer bottom times.

My trip had started with a flight from Miami, Fla., to Houston, Texas, then on to Hawaii for a one-night layover. From there I boarded another flight to Guam for, finally, the last connection to Chuuk. It is an exhausting trip to paradise, but we'd arrived and found every promise fulfilled when we boarded the boat.
The Onset Of Symptoms

The next morning we hit the water to explore our first wreck. I didn't want to do anything too aggressive, as I was still tired from the long trip and adjusting to the 14-hour time difference. I dove to 90 feet for 45 minutes, following with an afternoon dive to 95 feet for 55 minutes.

I went a little deeper the next morning, diving to 151 feet with a total bottom time of 110 minutes.
Gary Mace explores a wreck far below the surface in Chuuk.

After a three-hour surface interval, I completed a mild second dive hitting 127 feet for only 2 minutes and then averaged 75 feet for total dive time of 76 minutes. Each of my four dives had gone according to plan. After I reboarded the boat I cleaned my gear, readied it for the next day and went to my cabin for a little rest before dinner.

After about an hour I started to get stomach cramps and feel very nauseated. It was a feeling akin to food poisoning. The cramps got worse, and I started to feel extremely lightheaded. I got up to go to the bathroom, where I vomited. I made it back to the bed, but my condition was worsening; my entire body ached, and the stomach cramps, nausea and dizziness persisted. I wanted to tell someone I wasn't feeling well, but I didn't have the motor skills to get out of the cabin and climb the stairs.

About two hours later, my roommate, Richie Kohler, returned to the cabin and immediately evaluated my condition with me. We started me on oxygen, as by that time I had a very bad marbling pattern all over my body, indicating skin bends or Type I decompression sickness (DCS). Despite the oxygen, I started getting a dull throbbing pain in my back. I tried to get up again, but my left leg was numb and limp. The progression of symptoms indicated signs of Type II DCS. It was clear I needed help.
Not Your Typical Transport

The nearest chamber was on Chuuk, and we made the 30-minute trip to the island where an ambulance was to meet us and transport me to the hospital. Getting me off the boat and onto the skiff for the short ride to shore proved the first challenge; the backboard on which they'd hoped to carry me didn't fit through my cabin door.

With the help of captain and crew, I completed what felt like a marathon to reach the skiff. Once at the dock, I made it (again, with help) to a backboard on shore. On it, I was carried to the ambulance.

The ambulance was not the transport equipped with gurney, medical equipment and trained personnel we expect in the United States. In Chuuk, it meant a van devoid of all things medical, though it did say "ambulance" on the side, and it did have a siren and a driver delighted to use it for the very first time.

To say the 45-minute ride to the hospital was rough is a gross understatement. The roads were washed out from months of rain, leaving potholes that could swallow King Kong. Richie was still with me, and if not for him holding me steady, I would have fallen off the backboard onto the hard ridged floor.
Not Like Home

We finally arrived at the hospital, where I was evaluated by the attending physician. I remained on oxygen and was given Demerol for pain. My blood pressure was 60/40, so getting fluids in my system was critical. And that was basically the extent of the services offered there.

Hospitals in remote areas like Chuuk are not always like those at home. With no running water and no pillows, blankets or food for patients, if you want anything resembling a comfort item (including food), it must be brought with you or to you. I asked to go to the bathroom, and they took me to a stall with a toilet but no seat; the floor was so dirty I didn't know if I was stepping in human waste. With the exception of (thankfully) the room I occupied, there was no air conditioning. Communication was problematic, as no one spoke English. Valuables like your passport and wallet are simply placed on a chair next to you; I was too tired and drugged to know or care if anything was stolen. Having someone to look out for you (like I had Richie, who watched over me like family) is vital.
Mace’s symptoms finally resolved after hyperbaric chamber treatment at the U.S. Navy Dive Locker in Guam.

I'd arrived at the hospital around 7 p.m. on a Tuesday, and we received word from the local chamber it had no available personnel to treat me. But unknown to me, the Odyssey's captain had contacted DAN® when it was first evident I needed help. By Wednesday afternoon, DAN had arranged for a medical transport to fly me to the Dive Locker on the U.S. naval base in Guam. A paramedic and registered nurse arrived with the air transport, looking like two angels in their professional attire. They settled me in, and we embarked on the short flight to Guam.
An Unusual Condition

The Dive Locker is a state-of-the-art U.S. Navy facility, and the personnel there are top notch. By the time I arrived, it had been more than a day since I'd last eaten, and I was immediately given what little food they had on hand before they sent out for more. Their consideration and attention to small comforts proved to me I was in the care of people who wanted to make me well.

I spent five hours in the chamber completing a Table 6 treatment. By its end, my back pain was gone, the skin marbling subsided, and I'd regained some feeling in my leg.

From there I was released to the hospital in Guam. I continued receiving fluids during my evaluation, but tests revealed my muscles were breaking down, a condition known as rhabdomyolysis. Caused by traumatic events to the body, the painful condition releases protein enzymes into the bloodstream, filtering into the kidneys. If it continues for any length of time, the kidneys can shut down. To counteract this, I was injected with massive amounts of fluids in the hope I could flush out the enzymes and stop the muscle breakdown. After four days, lowered enzyme levels finally indicated the rhabdomyolysis had ceased. My condition improved, I was released from the hospital.
Lessons Learned

The doctors who treated me believed dehydration and fatigue played a major part in my getting bent. I was ordered out of the water for six to eight weeks, and it'll take time to build back my stamina, but it looks like I'll recover just fine.

I would not wish my experience on anyone, but I learned some lessons that will hopefully help others:

1. Ensure you are well hydrated prior to diving. Think about adding a few days at the beginning of your trip to recover from travel.
  2. No matter where you dive, ensure you have DAN membership and a dive accident insurance plan. Without DAN, the $60,000 flight and $10,000 hospital bill would have come out of my pocket.
  3. When traveling outside the country, check the local medical facilities and their capabilities. Don't assume because they are called a "hospital" they can provide a necessary level of care.
  4. If anyone goes through this type of situation, make sure someone is with him at all times. Having someone clear-headed to communicate on your behalf is important.
  5. Know the procedures for contacting DAN; the closest chamber may not be available to you, and they will facilitate the arrangements you need.

That's inconsistent with the definition of evacuate. Typical for TV/Movies...

e·vac·u·ate
iˈvakyəˌwāt/
verb
past tense: evacuated; past participle: evacuated
remove (someone) from a place of danger to a safe place.
"several families were evacuated from their homes"
synonyms:remove, clear, move out, take away, shift More

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom