Who here knows anything about Old Trucks...Like a '58 Dodge D100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I restore and collect American muscle cars so I say RESTORE not rat rod .. do it slow and learn as you go lots of parts out there you tub restorers books are every where , its not that difficult and you can do it little by little , when its done you'll never have more satisfaction

I think the idea of left hand threads on the left side is that the rotation of the wheel can loosen lug nuts, or tighten them. So left-on-left would prevent the ones on the left side from loosening up, in theory. In practice, proper torque seems to make that a non-issue. (If it ever was more than a marketing pitch.)

But wrt brakes...In case you never met them, or forgot about them, DRUM BRAKES SUCK IN THE RAIN. Everything from the 50's will have them, and if you drive through a puddle with drum brakes? You're not stopping anytime soon. It is a very unpleasant surprise, and one reason why some folks want front disc brake kits retrofitted, even on classic cars.

Interior work and upholstery is pretty much a lost art in most places. Some shops in California. More in Mexico, which might be closer and cheaper for you. Otherwise mainly radically overpriced "marine" upholstery shops in US cities.

I think the idea of left hand threads on the left side is that the rotation of the wheel can loosen lug nuts, or tighten them. So left-on-left would prevent the ones on the left side from loosening up, in theory. In practice, proper torque seems to make that a non-issue. (If it ever was more than a marketing pitch.)
Well, that makes sense from an engineering standpoint.

But wrt brakes...In case you never met them, or forgot about them, DRUM BRAKES SUCK IN THE RAIN. Everything from the 50's will have them, and if you drive through a puddle with drum brakes? You're not stopping anytime soon. It is a very unpleasant surprise, and one reason why some folks want front disc brake kits retrofitted, even on classic cars.
Yeah, I learned to drive on a rear-wheel drive in the snow of South Dakota- with Drum brakes. I may look at that refit.

Wow, that looks like it's in great shape!

Wow, that looks like it's in great shape!
Right!

That's why I want to restore it. There's just surface rust, the glass is intact, the tires still have pressure after 20+ years...I know it was running fine when it was parked, so it's not going to need the engine replaced or something.

I have been overruled. My folks decided to keep their truck.

I will drive it eventually.

Time to find another old truck to practice on. That way you can learn on a truck with less family history.

Uhm, mine was a bit rusty, but it was a Fargo. It would do almost 60 mph down hill and it shook like crazy. The front hood had 2 wings that opened up on each side. Cute.

It had a real nasty hemi V8. Burnt lots of gas, Burnt more oil. I bought it in high school and sold it in university.

Back
Top Bottom