Who is going to be leaving the Cozumel airport soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried this a couple years ago and passed through customs in Atlanta going to MI. After claiming your bags and taking them through customs you pass through security again. That liquor bag was of no value everyone had to check there liquor

Buying liquor at duty free shops has never made sense to me. Isn't liquor cheaper at stores in town? At any rate, I don't really care about saving a few bucks on something I can get in the States. I do, however bring Xtabentun home from Cozumel; it's not available here at any price.

Buying liquor at duty free shops has never made sense to me. Isn't liquor cheaper at stores in town?
Maybe. The price for Don Julio 1942 at the Cozumel airport store was $121 USD...
121.00 for the Don Julio 1942.
While this place in Minnesota claims to see it for $114 plus unknown shipping. They don't ship to Texas so I didn't try further: Don Julio Tequila Añejo Agave 1942 – Sunfish Cellars Wine & Spirits

The cheapest on google shopping in the tall bottle is $125: Don Julio 1942 - Google Search

In the other thread that go this started: Excess liquor charges
He said he thought he could get it in town for $75 and pack 10 bottles in his bags. I guess these are all 750 ml bottles.

We bring 6 bottles of Don back (to Canada) with us every trip. Reposado is around $26 / bottle on the island and $75 here. If I can find 1942 for $75, I'll bring one or two of those home for sure. It's not available here unless you special order it and it would be $225 - $250 (all figures in USD).

We took advantage of a crazy deal at Europea. 750ml Ron Maltusalem run and 375 Bushmills pack for 289 peso's. I was going to buy a Mezcal for 700 peso's but not when the rum/whiskey was "almost free".

Travelling with dive gear, camera gear, and normal stuff is already a big enough PITA. Who wants to add fragile, heavy bottles of booze to that in an effort to save a few bucks? Yuck. Good friend of mine had a couple of bottles of red wine break in her checked luggage ruining everything inside. I still laugh about that. While you're standing in line moving bottles between suitcases trying to get through security, I'll be at the bar. :cheers:

Travelling with dive gear, camera gear, and normal stuff is already a big enough PITA. Who wants to add fragile, heavy bottles of booze to that in an effort to save a few bucks?
We save $300 per trip For us, that's well worth it.

We save $300 per trip For us, that's well worth it.
That would almost pay for the plane ticket. Well, I see that Delta is offering Toronto-Cozumel for as little as $241 USD. I guess if you can get it packed very well in a second checked bag, and it's worth it to you, score!

I brought a half dozen bottles of Bacardi rum in various flavors back from the Lesser Antilles once, in the previous millennium when you could hand carry it aboard. It went okay, but the hike to I&C in Miami was long, I got mad carrying all of that, then I got stupid and told them agent I had nothing to declare. That could have gone so badly, but he let me walk.

I left them at my bud's house for future sampling with him, but his alcoholic girlfriend finished them off before I got back. Then I got into Scuba, and checked bags were cut to 50#, and I need all of that to haul my gear and some clothes.

That would almost pay for the plane ticket. Well, I see that Delta is offering Toronto-Cozumel for as little as $241 USD. I guess if you can get it packed very well in a second checked bag, and it's worth it to you, score!
For about $25 more we are flying AIr Canada direct non-stop. Haven't had to fly a connecting flight yet! We are quite fortunate to have so many direct options (4 carriers in high season) at very reasonable price points.

Maybe. The price for Don Julio 1942 at the Cozumel airport store was $121 USD...

Same bottle as in the link, $120 at bevmo in Roseville Ca. My club discount covers the sales tax.

All the state liquor taxes are different, I've heard of folks driving down here (CA) to stock up on hard liquor and drive back to Oregon or Washington. Kind of an internal duty free operation.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom