who sells scout lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
The Scout and the PT are identical - both use the same bulb and assembly, so any allegations of overdriving the bulb are moot. The PT 'should' have the same "I absolutely need this light to turn on now" reliability, and arguably even more since it uses a double O-Ring seal, not just one.

Furthermore, it has a definite on/off point, making you less likely to back it off too far and risk flooding it. I love my PT's.

Time will tell on the reliability issue, but I've seen several reports of people taking them on 400' dives without issue.

Like I said - I don't know why the PT killed my Scout - they're the same basic light assembly. It could be my Scout is many years old, it could be the Scout's lens is cloudy from age... who knows. But the difference in light output was demonstrable (even when IU traded batts between them) and its way way smoother to operate. And its cheaper (sort of...)

---
Ken

I purchased a photon torpedo to replace my flood prone and finicky on/off oxycheq light. The beauty of the PT is the on/off set up is far superior to that of the other back up lights on the market. It is a very simple but effective the way PT has set up the light to turn on when screwed down and to shut off with a slight twist back. If any one is interested i can take pics of the two set ups side by side showing how the contact works and why the PT is much easier and reliable to turn on with a solid on/off contact.

sylvester:
I am looking for a back up can someone point me toward a source or two?

we dont sell the Scout but we do sell the Solaris and Lightning Bolt (aluminum) lights -- both are outstanding and are decently priced.

Regards,

i've got about a dozen dives on my PT, no complaints so far. its seems to be more resistant to pressure activation and you don't have to turn it back as much (about 1/8 of a rotation will do it). that may give it a bump up in reliability over the scout (and for less money with batteries included).

i've got about 400 dives on my pair of Scouts, no complaints so far. no pressure activations in about 398 dives, no floods, and thousands of feet of cave exited in vis as low as 3'. maybe I should replace them and get something more reliable.

Munin:
i've got about 400 dives on my pair of Scouts, no complaints so far. no pressure activations in about 398 dives, no floods, and thousands of feet of cave exited in vis as low as 3'. maybe I should replace them and get something more reliable.

Hmmm....sounds like you need to invest in a decent primary light if your having to exit thousands of feet of cave on a back up light :D

Munin:
So, it sounds like you've had some pressure activations.

What's wrong with improving the design to make that much less likely?

jonnythan:
So, it sounds like you've had some pressure activations.

What's wrong with improving the design to make that much less likely?

I did have a few pressure activations when I first got the lights. After I figured out that all it takes, at least with mine, is a 1/2 turn back from the point where they turn on to prevent both pressure activations and flooding, I haven't had another. I'd say mine have been 100% reliable once I found the sweet spot, which is not by any means a difficult thing to do, and I would not call that overrated. The suggestion that the activation is inconsistent, or that they are not reliable or prone to flooding does not agree with my experience or that of any of the people I dive with AFAIK. I replied because I wanted to balance the responses here by speaking for the reliability of the Scout lights, which are very widely used in my area and and a solid product. Threads such as this seem to get two major types of people responding - the small minority of people that have had problems with the old style equipment, and the people that just bought the latest and greatest thing, who often (a) never used the old kind or (b) have barely used the new thing they're raving about. The majority of people that have had a good experience don't bother to respond. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with improving the design of the Scout, nor did I intend to say so although I can see how you could arrive at that from what I said since I was being an ***. Less expensive is also a plus. The PTs seem to be a good light and may even be better.

As for the reliability of my primary light, you're right. I have not had good luck with NiMH batteries so far.

Conclusion: PTs are good. So are Scouts.

Munin:
Threads such as this seem to get two major types of people responding - the small minority of people that have had problems with the old style equipment, and the people that just bought the latest and greatest thing, who often (a) never used the old kind or (b) have barely used the new thing they're raving about.

add a third category:

(c) people in violent agreement over some minutae

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom