Votes: 1 2.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No, and I try to avoid restaurants that serve it

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaFox

Reaction score
Interesting conversation with other divers recently raised the issue of whether Shark Fin (soup in particular) is just too good to give up despite.
1) The atrocious way they are harvested.
2) The obvious depletion of the species.
3) The other environmental impact.

Does anyone here still indulge?

No, I do not eat shark fin and avoid places that serve it. Yes, I am sure there are foods that I love that slaughtered in a brutal way. But, it is just wrong the way they harvest the fins and waste the rest.

but the hypocrisy of PETA and other groups around this issue is disgusting. You can be darned sure that if some snotty liberal had a pet shark named Fido, they'd be all over this like white on rice.

Apparently, there are no fundraising dollars by crying about the fate of the poor sharks.

Last week I had lunch with several people at a well known Toronto restaurant in Chinatown. At one point were were talking about what were our favourite dim sum dishes. When one person remarked that they liked the shark fin dumplings, I explained how they were "harvested".

Everyone at the table was horrified. They couldn't believe it! Needless to say, there are now several more people who won't eat that dish. And will encourage others to boycott it as well.

The biggest problem is the Asian view on this "delicacy". Like bear gall bladders or powdered antelope horn, the myth that is perpetuated by these cultures that these things are aphrodesiacs or give you better health. THAT is what keeps the slaughter going.

So how do we get them to stop?

SubMariner once bubbled...
Last week I had lunch with several people at a well known Toronto restaurant in Chinatown. At one point were were talking about what were our favourite dim sum dishes. When one person remarked that they liked the shark fin dumplings, I explained how they were "harvested".

Everyone at the table was horrified. They couldn't believe it! Needless to say, there are now several more people who won't eat that dish. And will encourage others to boycott it as well.

The biggest problem is the Asian view on this "delicacy". Like bear gall bladders or powdered antelope horn, the myth that is perpetuated by these cultures that these things are aphrodesiacs or give you better health. THAT is what keeps the slaughter going.

So how do we get them to stop?

I don't think you can "get them to stop" when it is such an ingrained part of the culture. In my opinion, it would have to be made illegal in order for that to happen. I tried to explain my feelings to my Chinese brother-in-law, yet they still served it at his wedding to my sister. I wanted to puke! But for half the guests there, it was a completely appropriate acknowledgement of the occasion :( .

sapphire

SubMariner once bubbled...

The biggest problem is the Asian view on this "delicacy". Like bear gall bladders or powdered antelope horn, the myth that is perpetuated by these cultures that these things are aphrodesiacs or give you better health.

Could anyone that knows for sure please comment.

My understanding was that unlike tiger penis or rhino horn people like Shark Fin just because it tastes good and tehy generally have no idea whatsoever that there is anything negative about it.

I live in Japan and it is still 70/30 on the issue on eating Whale or Dolphin, so sharks are way off the radar.

I think every part of the world has and mostly still is responsible for overfishing/depleting a number of species so it is unfair to single out Asia as the sole culprit.

"Reputed to be an aphrodisiac, this expensive delicacy is actually the cartilage of the shark's dorsal fin, pectoral fin and the lower portion of the tail fin. Though the fins of many shark species can be used, the soupfin shark is the one most broadly utilized for this purpose. Dried shark's fin can be found in Asian markets and is sold either whole or in shreds (sans skin and bones). The latter is more expensive because the labor-intensive work of removing the cartilage from the fin's framework is already done. Shark's fin cartilage provides a protein-rich gelatin that is used in Chinese cooking mainly to thicken soups — most notably, shark's fin soup. "

Epicure Magazine

cmdasia once bubbled...
Dried shark's fin can be found in Asian markets and is sold either whole or in shreds (sans skin and bones).
Epicure Magazine

The "sans skin and bones" bit raises the question of where they get their facts from.

Sans...bones is a bit of screw up I agree!

Another :

"The latest promotion for Sharks fin is at the Royal Princess Hotel Larn Luang in Bangkok. I quote from their promotional flyer which I received in the mail

" Enjoy delicious sharks fin, long considered a superb health promoting dish" "

I agree with you that it is not an Asian issue - it is a chinese issue, that is the only cultural group I know that eats this stuff.

I think it's ironic that eating it is considered the aphrodesiac. I think a man who brings home these things to a woman could be giving her an aphrodesiac in the form of showing her his manliness. Of course, even that doesn't apply any more with the new hunting techniques that require little skill or self endangerment.

So I'll just stick to food sources that make some attempt at full use of the animal. I have to admit to eating tuna some though, and they don't exactly use what they kill to get tuna either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom