Who uses TANK BOOTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put those hard plastic octagonal boots on my AL80s. I store them on an elevated shelf and the boots keep them from rolling around (and potentially off).

4-5 mph current
How does that work? Are you saying you swim into the current when it is running that fast and a boot might be a hindrance?
At those speeds I am quite sure I would be drifting quickly, or using a scooter that would be negligibly affected by a boot. Am I misunderstanding?

I use them on my tanks that have round bottoms. I modify them with a bandsaw to remove all but one of the edges that stick out to prevent roll. This way they fit into tank holders on boats. The remaining edge is left so I can easily knock the boot off with a mallet.

If you need streamlining, you should get those Aeropod things from Forcefins and attach them to your tank. :wink:
cool, thanks i’ll look into it. Appreciate the ideas, anything else you could recommend, the current is brutal, and although the muck from bottom is often quickly pushed away the visibility still sucks and entanglement is often likely.

How does that work?
It flows from lakes in the north and goes towards lakes in the south, not really sure where you’re asking. “how does current work?”

Are you saying you swim into the current when it is running that fast and a boot might be a hindrance?
I’m saying that it’s a hinderance in both the effectiveness in streamlining and preventing entanglement, it’s certainly not the only factor, but it helps
At those speeds I am quite sure I would be drifting quickly, or using a scooter that would be negligibly affected by a boot.

Am I misunderstanding?
I think you are.
You do drift quickly, but you can’t go downstream forever.

It flows from lakes in the north and goes towards lakes in the south, not really sure where you’re asking. “how does current work?”

I’m saying that it’s a hinderance in both the effectiveness in streamlining and preventing entanglement, it’s certainly not the only factor, but it helps

I think you are.
St Clair River?

I think you are.
The “how does it work” was an attempt at tactfully questioning your claims of a boot having any noticeable effect whatsoever in 4-5 mph current.

When in a hurricane I prefer to put my car window 1/32nd of the way up to keep the wind and rain out. :)

The “how does it work” was an attempt at tactfully questioning your claims of a boot having any noticeable effect whatsoever in 4-5 mph current.

When in a hurricane I prefer to put my car window 1/32nd of the way up to keep the wind and rain out. :)
2/64ths down would produce more favorable results

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom