Who uses TANK BOOTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I understand it, and I am not a cave diver, but it was explained to me that tank boots are not used in caves due to the possibility that if you were to drag the tank along a ceiling that the tank boot would/could hang up on the formation and break stuff off/ knock stuff loose. Not that dragging your tanks on the ceiling is cool to do, but IF it happens then at least the tank is slick and will slide off.
Like I said, I never been in a cave but know people who have.

As I understand it, and I am not a cave diver, but it was explained to me that tank boots are not used in caves due to the possibility that if you were to drag the tank along a ceiling that the tank boot would/could hang up on the formation and break stuff off/ knock stuff loose. Not that dragging your tanks on the ceiling is cool to do, but IF it happens then at least the tank is slick and will slide off.
Like I said, I never been in a cave but know people who have.

Another reason is entanglement with the line. Again, I cave dive with boots on my 85s and I’ve never had any issues. The knocking a formation loose would likely be much more possible in MX caves than in FL. MX caves have much more stuff hanging down, coming up from the floor due to formation while dry. They flooded later. FL caves formed while flooded, so very little in the way of decoration compared with MX.

I would really like a soft rubber boot for the aluminum 80/63. I hated having the tanks on my deck of our little boat and the plastic boots are not much kinder. So I put down Dri-Dek but if I had a soft boot I could pull the Dr-Dek out.

You’re better off not diving with a wetsuit, waxing all the hair off of you, and considering not diving with a BC as well if you’re worried about a tank boot affecting you in the water. Ugh, those regulator hoses…

Dive in a dry suit, do my bestest to stay encapsulated, yup. We streamline regulator hoses as well, glad you brought that up, you should start a thread asking if they’re better off hanging/ dragging in the muck/ sand or tidied up.

But if I was diving in California, I’d identify as the way you described, that way everyone’s happy…

Yes. Never really thought about not using them.....

I would really like a soft rubber boot for the aluminum 80/63. I hated having the tanks on my deck of our little boat and the plastic boots are not much kinder. So I put down Dri-Dek but if I had a soft boot I could pull the Dr-Dek out.
I use my old Aqua-Lung rubber tank boot because of my tile flooring.
BTW, IST makes them.
Search Amazon for Rubber Tank Boot.
Notwithstanding your specific need for deck protection, rubber boots don't drain like the plastic ones do. Moreover, they tend to stick to painted tanks if you never remove them. Personally, I may revert to plastic for their anti-roll benefit.

Attachments

• 20230330_131503.jpg
    20230330_131503.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 31
Personally, I may revert to plastic for their anti-roll benefit.

Thats why I have one on my AL80....it moves less when its laid down (in the back of the car, or anywhere else before I strap my backplate to it).

-Z

Both of my hard plastic boots split over the winter. Annoying.

We dive with Steel tanks and they can do a lot of damage, especially my Twin 10 litres.
They weigh around 38 Kgs ( >80Lbs) with the wing so I have to be careful where I am putting them.. Most notably it's when unloading them from the back of the car that is the most susceptible time. Our steel tanks all have rounded bottoms, so they won't stand on their own. We mostly do shore diving so standing up your tanks whilst preparing/overall is common practice. The boots also make the tanks easier to lift as they provide a grip point..

We also have a 7ltr Alu tank that we are using for land based O2, we do not have a boot on this one, it's much light and easier to handle so doesn't present the same problems. The Alu tank has a flat bottom so it can stand freely on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom