• Always Wear One

Votes: 103 39.9%
  • Sometimes Wear One

Votes: 70 27.1%
  • Only When Diving From The Shore

Votes: 12 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always worn one, but I find them to be a darn nuisance 95% of the time. Am considering discontinuing, or maybe storing in pocket, just in case I need it. Habits are hard to break. I haven't yet been in the situation when I have completely run out of air and am having to wait on the surface in rough seas for a boat, but, I guess this is why I still wear one.

Dave

Never,
When shore diving I swim on my back till it's deep enough to submerge. (wings can be like one of those chaise lounges for the pool)
When boat diving I come back up at the boat.

I do own one, in case I'm ever on one of those boats that "require it". I haven't needed it yet.

I shore dive a lot. Have to move thru waves on sandy beaches. The back-swimming stuff won't work in kelp. I don't like to waste air when I don't have to, like when there is a 100+ yard swim to the site.

After dragging around a traditional snorkel for years and never using it I finally bought one of the nifty fold up snorkels that use snap lock velcro to attach quickly if needed. Takes up less room in my pocket...

the cressi-sub snorkel folds up real good and costs half as much as a fold up.......just bend it in half and it goes back to normal when you take it out:tease:

I no longer wear one as I limit my diving to deeper wrecks. With that said, during my 10 year tenure as a dive boat captain in Key Largo I required all divers on my boats to wear one. I've seen many panic situations aleviated by the simple act of telling the diver to use his/her snorkel.

My personal feeling on this is that only very experienced divers should dive without a snorkel.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom