Who Would Service My Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
...Or does it matter?

I have a Suunto Wireless Transmitter that I need attached to my Mares Instinct 12S.

Shop A is a Sunuto service center, not a Mares services center, but is 500 meters from my office.

Shop B is a Mares service center, not a Suunto service center, but is an hour away.

Will it make a difference, since I'm only getting a part attached, and not getting the regulator fully serviced/inspected?

1a) Get an allen key.

2a) Remove the port plug on the HP port opposite where your SPG is screwed in.

--or, if you're replacing the SPG with the transmitter--

1b) Get an adjustable wrench.

2b) Remove the SPG hose from the HP port it's in.

3) Screw the transmitter into the open HP port.

4) Tighten with a wrench slightly more than finger tight.

5) Be glad you've avoided a silly dilemma about who's qualified to screw part A into hole B.

If you have any of the allen wrenches that you get with IKEA stuff, it will be the right size to get the HP plug out.

Taking the plug out and putting the transmitter in it very straightforward. You should be able to do it yourself. Just don't over-tighten it. Tight is tight enough.

And to answer your original question, it won't matter which shop you take it to. They will both do it.

R..

Last edited:
Close.

1a) Get an allen key.

2a) Remove the port plug on the HP port opposite where your SPG is screwed in.

--or, if you're replacing the SPG with the transmitter--

1b) Get an adjustable wrench. Get the correct wrench.

2b) Remove the SPG hose from the HP port it's in. Lightly lubricate the oring..

3) Screw the transmitter into the open HP port. BY HAND until it stops

4) Tighten with a wrench slightly more than finger tight.

5) Be glad you've avoided a silly dilemma about who's qualified to screw part A into hole B

6) Check for leaks. If it leaks DO NOT tighten more, dissamble and find the cause.

No lube on static seal orings, and a good adjustable wrench is always the correct wrench. Other than that, I'm happy someone with more patience than myself spelled out in small words what I take for granted.

No lube on static seal orings, and a good adjustable wrench is always the correct wrench. Other than that, I'm happy someone with more patience than myself spelled out in small words what I take for granted.

Hose orings are not true static orings, that is a misconception a lot of diver have. There is a lot of confusion on what a static oring is. To be truly static, there can be no motion between either mating surface and the oring both during service or....and this is the part that gets most people... during installation. While hose orings do not see movement in service, it does see considerable movement during installation. On average, the oring on LP hoses see about 1 1/4 turns of movement during installation, the HP about a turn. Since there is movement, to prevent pulling, pinching or other damage to the oring, it needs to be lubricated, granted not as much as a true dynamic one but still it need to lubed. Most of us get away with no lube since there is usually enough remaining from other installations to do the job. In scuba, the only oring commonly used that meets the critria for a true static oring is the tank to reg oring.

In 30 years I've never lubricated a hose O-ring and I've never had one leak. I think we're splitting hairs here.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom