Who would you like to take a class from?

Who would you like to take a technical class from?

• Ed Betts - ANDI

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Karl Shreeves - PADI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jarrod Jablonski - GUE

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Tom Mount - IANTD

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Other - specify

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwfletcher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
With all of the talk about certifying agencies, I would like to know which of the following instructors you would most like to take a technical class from and why.

For 99% of the inhabitants of Scubaboard, "None of the Above" is the only reasonable option.

It's not about which "Hall of Fame" instructor a particular agency happens to be associated with. Heck - does JJ even teach anymore? I don't know. I've never looked into it because it's not an option for me. If I want GUE training, I'm going to go to Brando or Dan McKay.

If I want TDI training, I'm going to go with Steve Lewis.

With respect, this poll is pretty much irrelevant. It's like asking - who's better - Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds? They both play baseball, but that's about where the relevancy ends.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
For 99% of the inhabitants of Scubaboard, "None of the Above" is the only reasonable option.

It's not about which "Hall of Fame" instructor a particular agency happens to be associated with. Heck - does JJ even teach anymore? I don't know. I've never looked into it because it's not an option for me. If I want GUE training, I'm going to go to Brando or Dan McKay.

If I want TDI training, I'm going to go with Steve Lewis.

With respect, this poll is pretty much irrelevant. It's like asking - who's better - Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds? They both play baseball, but that's about where the relevancy ends.

Glad to know that I finally found the person that speaks for 99% of the inhabitants of Scuba Board. I didn't ask who was better, I asked who people would rather take a class from.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
But thanks for getting all defensive. :confused:

My point remains the same - it's not relevant. Why are you posting the poll?

My post was not defensive. In addition, you say the poll is not relevant ... not relevant to what? I posted the poll because I was curious. Accordingly, the poll is relevant to the question that I posed. If you do not want to participate, go away!

I have taken classes with some of the above-listed people simply because I wanted to experience a class from some of the pioneers in technical diving.

I strongly considered going down to Florida to take my Advanced trimix course with Tom Mount. I ended up doing the course with some one else but I'd still like to get down there to dive with him. He was one of the first and he's still at it.

I know a few people who did classes with Sheck Exley and I'm kind of sorry I missed out on that.

Fletch - I apologize.

I guess if we're picking our "dream dive instructors" that would be one thing. It just looks like you're asking for a 'real' opinion, instead of a 'fantasy' opinion.

And if we're doing current, dream 'scuba icons' I want to meet John Chatterton some day. He and I don't share a dive philosophy by any real stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to figure out if we're related. There just aren't that many Chatterton's out there.

Tom Mount is someone I've heard a lot about over the years and was quite a pioneer in technical diving. I would love to take a class with him, or at least have a beer or two, hence my vote.

I also wish I had had the chance to dive with Sheck Exley. Heck for that matter I would have loved to Dive with Jaques Cousteau!

As far as what the other "99%" of people on scubaboard think I will let them speak for themselves.

I'd love to get in the water with anyone of that caliber, let alone take a class from them. I voted for JJ, I really like the way he approaches diving, I've read a number of his posts and I like to think I get what he's saying ( I'm not GUE trained ). That being said, Tom Mount has definitely impressed me with his posts as well, both are well spoken and super knowledgeable. I've learned lots just from reading what they have to say. I'm not very familiar with the other folks, but no doubt they're top notch.
Of course me taking classes from these people would be like learning physics from Steven Hawking.... ah well, we can always dream...:eek:ut:

dive safe all....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom