Who would your instructor choices be and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are thousands of instructors nationwide, likely tens of thousand worldwide. What is the point of making a recommendation when the people reading this are not in the correct geographic area? Newbies generally find SB after they are trained.

I am unclear the point of making recommendations in such a general forum? If folks want recommendations in the Colorado area post the question in the Rocky Mtn Oysters area and you will get several responses. Same will hold true for any regional forum. GUE divers can get recommendations in the GUE forum, etc.

SB is a big board and its puzzling why these types of questions land in the basic discussion area.

... if it doesn't strike you as relevent, then don't respond ... that's the beauty of ScubaBoard, there's plenty of other topics that you'd probably find more interesting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Small class size with a knowledgeable instructor.

There are many traits of good teachers. Education is not a one size fits all scenario, your lesson has to be somewhat dynamic. You can't use the prefixes in your name, the stamps on your card, or the letters on your diploma to lord over someone else. Teaching is not about being in a position of superiority, it is about the free exchange of knowledge. Utilizing your position of power to lord over your students is the fastest way to lose credibility and have a terrible class. Often, a quiet class means you're doing something wrong. You should be engaging with your students, asking questions, asking "No right or wrong answer" questions to see what the general opinion of the student body is. At the same time, you cannot ask for someone's opinion, then turn around and say "Well, your $0.02 were worthless".

I like my local instructors. They're quiet, mild mannered, and aren't afraid to point me into the right direction I want to go. When I told that about some deep water wrecks I wanted to dive in the Lakes, they didn't shoot them down and say "Oh no, you're so unqualified! You won't be able to dive those anytime soon so just forget about them!". They just quietly said that SCUBA was about experience in a multitude conditions. They asked who I would rather dive with, someone who has 100 hours in the same inland lake over and over, or someone with 100 hours in various temperatures, currents, and conditions? One diver is more experienced than the other. So, that kinda set me in the right motion of where I need to go. Consequently, even with my busy schedule, I have locked myself into a "2 dive days per month minimum" policy with myself. I have ambition, and therefor, no excuse to be inexperienced or relatively untrained.

I have a busy summer ahead of me.

I put it here because I specifically am looking for "people you'd go out of your way to train with" as I said in the original post. To my mind, training is a basic issue, no matter what level the training is.

Unfortunately, the instructor I'd most go out of my way to train with not only stopped teaching, but as far as I know doesn't even dive anymore. That would be Joe Talavera. I told him once he's the instructor I aspire to someday become. His response back to me was "just be yourself" ... which says volumes when you consider all that those three words imply. Joe wasn't just an awesome instructor and diver, but one of those people with a unique personality that made you want to hang onto every word he said ... and then watch him go out and walk the talk. If he were teaching today, he's one of the few I'd go out of my way to take a class from.

I've been fortunate to take classes from several fine instructors over the years. Of those I'd seek to take another class from, they have a few things in common. They're not rigid thinkers ... they have the ability to explain succinctly everything they want you to do, and why it matters ... they're demanding, but realistic in terms of what they expect from you ... they know when to beat you up and how to pick you up when you've reached your limits ... it's clear that they truly care that you get value out of the class you're taking from them ... and, without exception, they're people I'd love to dive with after class is over ... not because I'm looking to gain anything from their experience, but because I truly enjoy their company. Three such instructors I can say that about that hang out here on ScubaBoard would be Jim Wyatt, Rob Neto, and Carl Griffing ... all quality instructors, top-notch divers, and great people. There are others, but these three come to mind because I've had experience taking classes from them ... and would do so again without a moment's hesitation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For Recreational - I'd go with NW Grateful Diver - Just reading his posts, his blogs and articles has me feel the match up as Teacher - Student would prove to be really worth the while. The main reason is that we have a same baisc view on diving.

For Techical - Chris Brown down at Silent World in Key Largo. I've talked with Chris on a few occaisions and as an instructor he earned my respect by being upfront, honest while offering me valuable advice on my diving goals (deep diving/wrecks).

I'd also would think DevonDiver out in the Phillipines would be an excellent wreck course instructor given his passion for diving the wrecks in Subic Bay and the explorations he's done there.

Ed Stetson in Santa Barbara California.

I learned to advanced diving, DM and AI with Ed and have seen him operate over the last 30 years. He is a consumate professional who cares about the students. He had organized any number of trips including an annual trip of the USCB dive club to Catalina Island. He was instrumental in creating the diving safety workshops in Santa Barbars in the 1990s and helping to create the Santa Barbara underwater film festival. In other words, this is an instructor that has dedicated himself to the betterment of diving over the years. He is as enthusiastic an instructor as when I met in in 1985. I would welcome the opportunity to train with Ed, he is simply, the best.

I would travel from about anywhere to take classes at Odyssey Scuba here in Missouri, any of the three instructors. I've done classes with all three, and look forward to doing about three more classes with them. I feel very comfortable and safe with these instructors. They are patient, but not too lenient. They go out of their way to teach more than the class requires. I have always felt confident and good after a class with this group. I also have a lot of fun, whether it is classes or fun dives. I'd feel traitorous to go elsewhere :p But yes, I would travel cross country to train with them. That being said, I met some great instructors in Florida that if I ever lived in the area, I would definitely look them up. They run a place called The Scuba Gym.

Bob Bailey for diving the PNW. Andy Davis (Devon Diver) for South Pacific. Steve Lewis for rebreather and St Lawrence wrecks. And I am traveling to train with him at Dutch in July. Though not on the rebreather. Sue Smith for Great Lakes Dives. Hope to be taking Adv Nitrox and Deco with her this summer. She has done some remarkable stuff in the Lakes. Though not an instructor to my knowledge -Gary Gentile for North Atlantic wrecks. And Bernie Chowdhury for same area. Off the top of my head that is. And if I ever wanted to do caves - Rob Neto because I've met him and just like the vibe I get from him. And for PSD and wrecks - Chris Richardson.

Easy question to answer for me it seems.

People that I have trained with that I would use again and recommend to anyone, Mark Pergram and Larry Green. Excellent tech/cave instructors IMO.

People on this board that I have never trained with that I feel would do a great job and fit my style in what I look for:
Jim Lapenta
Dive-aholic
Doppler
NWGratefulDiver
DevonDiver

I actually plan on doing a class with Dive-aholic (Rob Neto) when I get back in the states.

If I had to take my OW again, I would probably think Jim would be the one I'd travel for. I think his program would set me up to success for my further diving career.

I would go out of my way to learn from Tom (Captain here on the board) and no, he's not an instructor. But he is a wealth of knowledge on many matters vintage and I would spend time with him if I could in hopes that some of it would rub off. I would also hang out with Dr. Bill if I could; I share his interest in the marine environment and would probably feel pretty comfortable rubbing elbows with him.

Instructors aren't the only divers one can learn from and I have found that I gain a great deal by just hanging out and talking over an extended period of time. Some things can't be learned in one sitting and finding a mentor who is willing to dive regularly and share their knowledge is very beneficial.

Sad to say, but I used to deal with a shop that had about 6 instructors working out of it, 5 of whom I never saw in a social dive setting. Bad mojo in my books nowadays. However, one instructor did dive with us socially and he was the guy I feel I learned the most from. It was the willingness to share freely in the parking lot as well as the LDS, his demonstrated personal enjoyment of diving and his sense of making me feel his equal (as a fellow diver) instead of resorting to the teacher/student dynamic that impacted me. His name was (is) Manfred Lippe and I think he used to hang out on the board though I haven't spoken to him in a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom