who's diving this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys!

Been working for a while now, no time to dive. Read viz sucks, does that mean it won't get better until winter?

jeckyll:
Viz was < 2' at above 10 fsw at Whitecliff :D

It was decent below 60 & 90 though. Now where are those pictures Les?? :wink:

Opposite at Willis Point today. It was okay down to 35-40', but terrible below that. Usually it's the other way around, but all those terrible plankton were not near the surface. It was like descending into a pot of pea soup -- should I mention that I HATE pea soup?

Lots of ctenophores out today though. The highlight was a 4" (looked like 6") lobed sea gooseberry, which danced in front of us for a while, glimmering in our lights.

I'm starting to like the drysuit (3rd dive). I'm still no expert at draining the air from it... without going to an upright position. I try hard to raise my arm and tilt, etc., but to no avail. I guess I just have to dive more.

- ChillyWaters

jeckyll:
Viz was < 2' at above 10 fsw at Whitecliff :D

It was decent below 60 & 90 though. Now where are those pictures Les?? :wink:

I had to work real late on sat night and yesterday. today family stuff and back to work tonight. I will try soon tho.
BTW thanks for the great dive. hope Pete thaws out for another dive:D

ChillyWaters:
Opposite at Willis Point today. It was okay down to 35-40', but terrible below that. Usually it's the other way around, but all those terrible plankton were not near the surface. It was like descending into a pot of pea soup -- should I mention that I HATE pea soup?

I'm starting to like the drysuit (3rd dive). I'm still no expert at draining the air from it... without going to an upright position. I try hard to raise my arm and tilt, etc., but to no avail. I guess I just have to dive more.

- ChillyWaters

Only thing good with the "Pea Soup" is dive sites are usually all to yourself!

Where did you get your Exhaust Valve installed? Shoulder or wrist? -- Only three dives? You need to get out more...

B

GlazierB:

Where did you get your Exhaust Valve installed? Shoulder or wrist? -- Only three dives? You need to get out more...

B

It's on the shoulder -- but seems rather forward facing. It vents very well if in an upright position, with your hand holding the BCD's deflator hose -- as if ascending on a line from depth.

I just have to learn to tilt more or something. I _really_ have a hard time venting the suit when horizontal. I could actually probably remove a few pounds, but can't due to my lack of air venting abilities. By-the-way, I'm diving it with the valve wide-open.

- ChillyWaters

GlazierB:

Except at Ogden, I've only rarely seen other divers while under water. Too many divers may ruin the experience.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
It's on the shoulder -- but seems rather forward facing. It vents very well if in an upright position, with your hand holding the BCD's deflator hose -- as if ascending on a line from depth.

I just have to learn to tilt more or something. I _really_ have a hard time venting the suit when horizontal. I could actually probably remove a few pounds, but can't due to my lack of air venting abilities. By-the-way, I'm diving it with the valve wide-open.

- ChillyWaters

I need to learn to be more careful when venting my wing. I'm used to going going head down to dump from the rear valve while in a wetsuit; on Sunday I ackwardly discovered I needed to be more careful while doing this. If you were watching the water at Henderson Point around 4pm you might have witnessed the amazing upsidedown diver. Whoops...

Keep in mind that if you have too much weight you will have to add a lot more air to become neutral. That air has to be vented sometime.

Swankenstein: Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to the vis. It seemed decent above 10 metres but got worse as we went down to 20m.

Viz was pretty good at Whiskey Cove yesterday, though it's all relative. I think it was 15-20 feet.

I haven't been to whiskey cove in a long time. Did you dive the island or around the corner below the houses? whatdya see? anything cool.Below the houses used to have alot of opalescent nudis, gold and white lined dironas, crabs munching on a dead salmon. 'bout it for cool stuff for me there. what is the max bottom on the island? and not the inside when the tide is out. been there-done that on a surface swim. I had to get up and walk it was that shollow.

Les:
I haven't been to whiskey cove in a long time. Did you dive the island or around the corner below the houses? whatdya see? anything cool.Below the houses used to have alot of opalescent nudis, gold and white lined dironas, crabs munching on a dead salmon. 'bout it for cool stuff for me there. what is the max bottom on the island? and not the inside when the tide is out. been there-done that on a surface swim. I had to get up and walk it was that shollow.

We dove around the island. We mostly saw crabs, since that was the goal. I ended up taking three home and my buddy took two home. My kids loved it when I got home; all afternoon: "the crabs are getting out", "can we see the crabs", "are they going to eat us"....

Our max depth was 65 fsw, I have been to 75 fsw on the far side of the island when the tide was in. We usually do it as a night dive and see a lot of shrimp, crabs, sole, and starfish around the island. I think there is a lot on the island, you just have to look close. I haven't seen much in the way of nudi's, not like I have at Whytecliffe. There were a lot of little jellyfish in the top 10 feet from the surface.

I have only dove to the west under the houses once. It was a night dive a couple of years ago for crabbing, didn't see much but crab.

Cheers,
Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom