Who's used a "fusion" type drysuit in tropical waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k_im

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've seen the manufacturers claims that these suits are versatile enough for virtually any water temperature, however, I'd like to hear from divers who've "been there".
Thanks

This is not my experience at all, but a friend's. He and his wife dove Fusions in the Caribbean. They said it was pretty hot putting on the gear at the surface, but very comfortable underwater. It's all a matter of undergarments in a shell drysuit.

We took Fusions to Roatan (79F), light undergarments. So glad to have been diving dry!

[vimeo]19818216[/vimeo]

304146_2384841261306_1847489152_n.jpg

I've used my Fusion in the Red Sea, with air temps in the 90s, and water temps from 86 to 80. I've used it shore diving on Maui, with water temps of about 75. I've used it in Mexico, in water temps of 75.

I basically don't dive wet any more, not anywhere. If I'm diving where air temperatures are hot, I make sure all my gear is put together before I dress (just as I do on hot days at home) and I wear a thin undergarment. In the warmest temperatures, I've dived with just a Diving Concepts base layer under the suit; a little cooler, and I go to a set of Land's End fleece sweats.

I love the Fusion for travel, because the suit is SO light, and it dries quickly. And nowadays, with the SiTech rings on it, you can't even be sidelined by a blown seal, which is awfully nice. No more wetsuit diving for this gal!

Rainer, TSandM, what skin do you have on your fusion in the vidoe and picture? If I can only choose one skin, what is the best all around?

85degrees in FL in billet skin and worked great. I am thinking about buying a lighter skin but more for quick drying reasons than anything underwater.

Tech skin. It's second lightest (and probably lighter than the lycra skin + X-shorts), still dries relatively quickly, and has built-in (decent, but not the best) pockets.

Thanks for the input, folks. I guess the short answer is yes.
Evidently there's a big difference between the fusion type and the neoprene. We did a pool session (the pool temp was 92 deg F) in neoprene suits and I thought I was going to pass out.
Good to know.

PS Amazing video, Rainer. Are you a professional videographer?

I use either the Sport skin with a set of X-shorts, or the Tech skin. The Sport skin dries the fastest, but you have to remember the shorts if you want pockets to keep anything in. If pockets are not an issue for you and you want light and quick-drying, the Sport skin is best.

I don't even like the Bullet skin for cold water diving. Too heavy, too inflexible, too slow to dry. Even if mine is the most luscious shade of red . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom