Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually had to talk my spouse into diving and it is still definitely more my thing than his. I try to talk more women into it, but it's just something you have to want to do and I am ok with spending my time with a lot of great guys. :)

H2O Andy, I liked your explanation about male instructors emphasizing the "male" aspect of diving. I had an instructor like that for a while. I stayed with it because I really wanted to learn to dive and my son was with me and also wanted to learn. My husband has no desire or interest to dive. I have wanted to dive since Cousteau was on TV. For instructors, maybe there is still some "Bond" image there.
Some women may feel they can not have an outside interest from their husbands or feel they are ignoring them. That can be their feelings or the vibe they get from their husbands. Either way. I have been blessed with a husband (best friend) who always said to go for what I want and he would support me. I have a female friend that gets grief from her boyfriend if she wants to dive with me and there is nothing for him to do while we are diving. He wants her sole attention. As a result, she doesn't get to dive very nuch at all.
Children do have a big impact. I waited until my son was old enough to certify at the same time. Personal choice, my husband never told me I couldn't or shouldn't. I also dive conservatively since I have my son with me half the time. That eliminates some of the risk factor. (deep, wreck, cave, etc.)
Physical shape and appearances: maybe. Especially with the younger females. As you get older, who cares and I want to do what I want to do. I'm not a runway model and I know every bump shows in a wetsuit. Reality.

I don't know if that adds some explanation to why more women don't dive. Just my person $0.02.

My husband talked me into diving but it was more of a financial thing that had been keeping me from it. Now I wish I had started when I was 15 and I'm not really sure why I didn't since I grew up on Long Island. Hey Mrs Prages - Check out the PM I sent you.

Leah most excellent.........way to go.

My wife dives with me but not on all dives. I love it when she is with me but I do understand that she has other interests as well. You could ask the same question about golf, or whatever, its just that there are some things men migrate to easier then women.

Hey I know a guy who makes clothes for fun. Its not something I would do but hey to each his own.

Happy Diving

I realized after reading most of this thread that I got certified with two girls! One was getting certified because her husband was, and they were going on a cruise. The other was her younger sister and I think they were doing it as a "family bonding" thing. And one of our instructors is an IDC course director in the PADI stuff....pretty high up! What's funny is she showed up with a drysuit and an aluminum 60. I was expecting steel doubles....

Anyways, I don't think the two girls are diving anymore. I don't know for sure because I haven't had any contact with them since the class (sometime I'm going to ask at the dive shop if they've ever rented anymore gear) but the married one seemed miserable: trouble getting down, clearing, totally uncomfortable in the water, equipment too heavy, wetsuit hard to get into, this is not fun. The sister took to it all way better, so we ended up buddied up most of the time while the instructor spent time working with the married girl. If either is still diving, I think it'll be the younger one. The married gal probably got spoilt diving in warm water and will never ever ever think about doing any diving in thsoe freezing cold springs again. The other one has likely not been spoilt and might go back into springs :) I went out two weeks later and bought everything I needed to go diving and have since logged 7.5 hours underwater and I'll triple that before summer is over. :)

And this one girl who's a bit of a close friend *cough cough* who'd I'd like to get diving....she's a really tiny, skinny dancer. I definitely know she couldn't carry an alu80. At some springs we walk a few hundred feet easy to get into the water and I don't exactly enjoy it, I know she'd never forgive me. I'd probably have to carry it for her. She likes warm ocean water so she won't love the springs. She'll probably have trouble clearing and with her mask flooding. And she'll decide she doesn't want to do it at all after getting certified. $250 and two weekends is alot to decide you don't like the sport :) Truthfully, I had the same problems: I was freezing, my mask leaked like a sieve, I was miserable. But dang, being able to breathe underwater? how cool is that? Heck, i can put up with hypothermia for that! So I'd almost think I agree, more men are willing to put up with the inital miserableness for the later benefit.

JahJahwarrior:
At some springs we walk a few hundred feet easy to get into the water and I don't exactly enjoy it, I know she'd never forgive me. I'd probably have to carry it for her.

or she can get a dolly and roll it to the water, and then get suited up there

:wink:

us old timers have to do that trick with doubles

My wife just started her OW course and I can see the pitfalls already, despite Jon C’s experience it is possible for a SO to be present and not be in the way. I know what he is talking about though, I spent time working around recreational boaters and watched men screaming at the wives from the wheel. I swore I would never be that guy. I would have to check with my wife, but I think I am doing ok. She asked me to come and I did get in the pool with her. That said the class is all men or boys, and the first night the ‘mine is bigger than yours” began. The instructor recommended the heavier shorty for the two and half plus hours they were going to be in the pool, everybody went along with it until the last guy decided he wanted the lighter sleeveless suit. The next thing you know EVERY guy has switched to the lighter suit. It was pathetic really, and I knew my wife was in for trouble. After the first night she thinks she was the only one having trouble, and the only one uncomfortable or scared. She doesn’t believe me when I tell her the guys in the class wouldn’t admit they were having a problem until the instructor was giving them CPR. The other problem she had was gear fit. None of it was designed for a women’s shape and the instructor spent no time trying to help her deal with the problems he just shrugged her off. Male centered I would say. He seems solid from a technical standpoint, but I was not impressed with they way he dealt with her gear problems. He says over and over the gear has to fit and be comfortable for this to be enjoyable, but he doesn’t help her get the best fit and deal with the awkwardness of the gear. Maybe I am expecting too much. I got certified in a university program and there were plenty of women, but I had my own issue to work through I wasn’t paying attention to how the instructor dealt with the women.

i was diving before i met hubby...

i find alot of woman are turned off at the thought of diving due to body image issues(wetsuit sizes being so freaking small-almitychild is 13yr, aussie size 8 and wears a size 16 wetsuit!) and fear they dont have the ability to carry equipment

hubbys female students usually fall into 2 caterogies

1. women learning because of hubby/partner/boyfriend already dives
2. single woman holidaying or wanting to make changes in their lives (as with me) and i feel these women are empowered by the experience

i cant recall in all these years a married woman doing the course just for themselves with a non diving partner

Now, on the other hand the last liveaboard I went on (StarDancer)...the woman out numbered men. Also, there was an available single woman in the group....where were you guys?

The captain of the boat I always go on is a woman and she is also the divemaster. My advance and enrich air instructor is a woman. Not to mention the person I admire always is also a woman is my mother :). And the person who influence me into diving was also a woman who unfortunately died while doing the sport. If I was to date a woman, she better be a diver who doesn't smoke nor drink beer either. Otherswise, life continues and now I'm going to prepare for my dive on Saturday to complete my advance training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom