Why Aren't There Scuba Celebrities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive me for not reading 1/2 of the prior posts but has Jonathan Bird been mentioned? He is widely viewed on PBS albeit with a bias towards the young but he crosses the generations to some extent. Other than his travel budget, where he goes an most of what he does is within the scope of mere mortals. While he has yet to reach mass celebrity status like Cousteau/Nelson he may be the best poster boy we have going right now.

If you get a chance to see him speak at a conference, screening etc be sure to go, he's very entertaining.

Pete

I am absolutely astounded at the number of younger divers who have no idea who Jacques-Yves Cousteau is!

Bill there are people in their 20's who don't know who Sammy Davis Jr is, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Bill there are people in their 20's who don't know who Sammy Davis Jr is, so it shouldn't be surprising.

There are people in their 20's who don't even know who the Beatles were.
They're certainly not going to know who any diving personalities were.

Yup. Or the monkeys, buddy holly, peewee Herman...the list goes on. Sad, but just the reality of being old I guess.

I would think there are people older than their 20s that don't know who these are.

I think one problem is it seams like anyone that commercializes scuba and makes money is criticized by the community. Online retailers ripped by local shops, aspiring pros ripped by experienced instructors, I had a chat with a diver that said new divers should have to do personality and phyc testing saying not everyone should be able to dive...

At the core of the problem is the internal criticism... We should be happy for anyone that has found a way to make money and bring awareness to scuba diving.

I met someone in the Cayman Islands last year. She was a Scuba Celebrity and told everyone within earshot that she was. I wanted to drown her.
LOL, good one.
looking at it that way, I know a lot of scuba celebrities, legends in their own minds :eek:

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 12:15 AM ----------

I think one problem is it seams like anyone that commercializes scuba and makes money is criticized by the community. Online retailers ripped by local shops, aspiring pros ripped by experienced instructors, I had a chat with a diver that said new divers should have to do personality and phyc testing saying not everyone should be able to dive...

At the core of the problem is the internal criticism... We should be happy for anyone that has found a way to make money and bring awareness to scuba diving.
They're just jealous.

I am absolutely astounded at the number of younger divers who have no idea who Jacques-Yves Cousteau is!

Really? I'm astounded that there are any that DO know who he is.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 08:38 AM ----------

20's?

I had a woman who worked for me more than a dozen years ago. She must have been 25 then... so nearly 40 now.

One day I heard her to talking to someone else in the office. She was insisting that "George Harrison was actually in another group before the Travelling Wilburys." Her brother told her it was true... but she couldn't remember the name of the group.

They're certainly not going to know who any diving personalities were.

But I'm referring to young DIVERS. You're right on the Beatles as was Eric on Sammy Davis Jr, but I'd expect anyone seriously into music would know both.

---------- Post added December 27th, 2014 at 09:18 AM ----------

Yup. Or the monkeys, buddy holly, peewee Herman...the list goes on. Sad, but just the reality of being old I guess.

I'd think they were just smart if they didn't know the Monkees or PeeWee Herman, but Buddy Holly? I am often surprised to see how many twenty-somethings at karaoke know the music from the 60s and even the Big Band era.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom