Why Aren't There Scuba Celebrities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...The problem would really be that the diving part of the show would need to be de minimis in order to have enough action, plot, dialog, etc to keep television viewers from changing the channel.

They could have comms while in pursuit. Throw in some Jaws type music...

This is an idea I had from another TV series thread. I think you could have a pretty good series with Scuba diving in it, but not necessarily about scuba.

I think a Airplane style remake of Sea Hunt would pretty awesome, the over wrought pretense, the drama and of course the bikini dips.... The Warhammer Episode: Mike is hired to take a documentary crew out to a rarely visited, highly restricted reef. He simultaneously deals with a lunch basket filled with warm egg salad, and a chemical head that has malfunctioned. Desperately they wait topside for the divers hanging in deco so they can move out of the restricted zone, where mike and his crew can finally get relief....

The Coldwater Episode: Mike and his crew fly into the Caribbean to film tropical luxury.... leaving their wetsuits at home they find a shift in the currents has caused a coldwater upwelling. Now they are faced with a selection of Rental wetsuits..... and the problem of keeping warm in them.... Who is okay with warming the suits from the inside and who isn't? and who is not okay with rental wetsuits at all?

Lots of potential....

There is a kids cartoon called "wild Krats" where the krat brothers investigate creature powers and educate on protecting the environment. Many of the episodes are underwater and include full face mask and scuba tanks... My boys keep asking me when they get to breath underwater like the wild krats. This Christmas they got masks and snorkels. They are only 3/5. But hey are so excited. Just one way to get kids interested in marine biology, and other underwater jobs that will bring awareness to scuba.

On another celebrity note how about these ... Anyone like football? ...
http://youtu.be/oVOsGuo1W0U

my daughters started snorkeling pretty early, I think around seven or eight. My youngest once threw one of my dive masks (a real one, not a kiddy toy) at a sea gull she thought was accidentally choking on a sock... Her big sister still brings it up after I chewed her out for throwing away $50 mask. I could get them to sit through just about any documentary ever aired as long as it had some fish in it. The original Kratt brother show, Zaboomafoo, was a little light on underwater scenes. But there have been a steady stream of good underwater shows on PBS for both you and old.

I met someone in the Cayman Islands last year. She was a Scuba Celebrity and told everyone within earshot that she was. I wanted to drown her.

Now that is a show I could watch! To make it more interesting she should be equipped with everything people say "you will die if you use that" and see what does her in first.

Reactions: RJP
I don't know if he has been mentioned in the ten pages of replies. But number one on any list should be Sheck Exley. He pioneered so many areas of SCUBA that you cannot list them all. He started diving at 15 or 16 in the pre-BCD age, he carried a beach bottle around that he would add or remove air to for buoyancy control. He was one of the first cave divers and there are many caves that have his name listed as being on the team that first explored the cave. He invented the rule of thirds used by tec divers, he held many depth records, the list is endless.

Sports stars become famous when they push and exceed their own limitations and those of their chosen sport. Stronger, faster higher and all that. Divers who take that approach seldom make headlines, just a brief mention in the legal notices after the inquest.

I don't know if he has been mentioned in the ten pages of replies. But number one on any list should be Sheck Exley. He pioneered so many areas of SCUBA that you cannot list them all. He started diving at 15 or 16 in the pre-BCD age, he carried a beach bottle around that he would add or remove air to for buoyancy control. He was one of the first cave divers and there are many caves that have his name listed as being on the team that first explored the cave. He invented the rule of thirds used by tec divers, he held many depth records, the list is endless.

He also died chasing some deep water glory. He was nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom