Why Backplate and Wing? - BP/Wing vs Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
...as if this hasn't been beaten to death :wink: ...
Why Backplate and Wing? - BP/Wing vs Jacket BC
This video aims to help viewers evaluate the benefits of backplate and wing BC system. Retrace the rationale for my evolution from Jacket BC to Backplate and wing. Emphasis on the benefits of each system, how these systems affect trim and buoyancy control. Nety up will be a similar video: Why long hose?
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

Would the scuba pro hydros pro be considered a backplate and wing?
Although obviously not traditional-looking.
But is it functionally the same despite not having a single looping harness.
Particularly without the optional side pockets.
As below.

SCPHPMBKLG_2.jpg

Would the scuba pro hydros pro be considered a backplate and wing?
Although obviously not traditional-looking.
But is it functionally the same despite not having a single looping harness.
Particularly without the optional side pockets.
As below.

View attachment 632660

I would not consider the Hydros a BP/W, but rather a back inflate BCD or Hybrid BCD designed and marketed for travel. It is not the harness that makes the difference. BP/Ws can be configured with deluxe harnesses that have lots of bells and whistles rather than Hogarthian webbing. Nor is it the backplate material, backplates can be made with soft material and carbon, although AL and Stainless steel are by far the most common. The difference is purpose driven modularity. With Traditional BP/Ws it is very simple and easy to change wings. For example going back and forth between a single tank and doubles is a simple matter of swapping a wing and maybe adding a STA. I don't think that is possible with the Hydros, is is designed to stay as one unit. In fact try searching for a replacement wing for the Hydros, I could not find one with quick internet search.

All that is not to criticize the hydros or put it down. There is an increasing number of back inflate BCDs on the market and that is probably a good thing. A lot of folks love the Hydros, but I don't think that means it should be considered a BP/W.

I would not consider the Hydros a BP/W, but rather a back inflate BCD or Hybrid BCD designed and marketed for travel. It is not the harness that makes the difference. BP/Ws can be configured with deluxe harnesses that have lots of bells and whistles rather than Hogarthian webbing. Nor is it the backplate material, backplates can be made with soft material and carbon, although AL and Stainless steel are by far the most common. The difference is purpose driven modularity. With Traditional BP/Ws it is very simple and easy to change wings. For example going back and forth between a single tank and doubles is a simple matter of swapping a wing and maybe adding a STA. I don't think that is possible with the Hydros, is is designed to stay as one unit. In fact try searching for a replacement wing for the Hydros, I could not find one with quick internet search.

All that is not to criticize the hydros or put it down. There is an increasing number of back inflate BCDs on the market and that is probably a good thing. A lot of folks love the Hydros, but I don't think that means it should be considered a BP/W.

Thank you for your elaborate response. And I did not infer that you were downing the hydros.

Your response was very elaborate and useful, I now see how a BP w/w is versatile.
But my question was if they dived the same.

Both provide lift exclusively from the back.
Both have flat back plates.

I imagine they're in the same category.

Hi
I haven't checked the details of this SP back inflate system but this and a BP sytem is not in the same category as with this SP you are stuck to the same SP system (I might be wrong on that one :)) and a real BP system is compeltely modular as you can use (or better "make") any harness you like, use any backplate you want and use any wing that suits your diving. You can mismatch any brand that fits the basic principle of the BP system. It is also cheaper :)

Hi
I haven't checked the details of this SP back inflate system but this and a BP sytem is not in the same category as with this SP you are stuck to the same SP system (I might be wrong on that one :)) and a real BP system is compeltely modular as you can use (or better "make") any harness you like, use any backplate you want and use any wing that suits your diving. You can mismatch any brand that fits the basic principle of the BP system. It is also cheaper :)

Yes but would they dive the same?

Back
Top Bottom