Why Bonaire instead of Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't been to Aruba, and after seeing the ads and talking to people who have been there, I will never go.

Aruba is a built up tourist island. It is kind of like going to Atlantic City, posh hotels, waaaay too many people, etc.

Bonaire is mostly not touristy. Sure there are many resorts there, but 95% of them are tiny, and there are no high rises there.

While there are things to do topside, such as wind surfing, kayaking, kite boarding, mt. biking, photography and brd watching, sailing...well, as you can see it is all outdoor activities. These things are for me, even though I concentrate almost exclusively on diving when I am there, the point is that Bonaire is an outdoorsy place, rustic and made for me.

Lots of people would prefer Aruba. I prefer Bonaire. If you like quiet, do not go to Aruba. If you prefer or need a "nightlife" or a 5* hotel, don't go to Bonaire.

I can not personally comment on the diving in Aruba, but have heard the reefs are beat up. Having spent last week in Bonaire, the reefs there are in great shape.

Haven't been to Aruba, and after seeing the ads and talking to people who have been there, I will never go.

Aruba is a built up tourist island. It is kind of like going to Atlantic City, posh hotels, waaaay too many people, etc.

Bonaire is mostly not touristy. Sure there are many resorts there, but 95% of them are tiny, and there are no high rises there.

While there are things to do topside, such as wind surfing, kayaking, kite boarding, mt. biking, photography and brd watching, sailing...well, as you can see it is all outdoor activities. These things are for me, even though I concentrate almost exclusively on diving when I am there, the point is that Bonaire is an outdoorsy place, rustic and made for me.

Lots of people would prefer Aruba. I prefer Bonaire. If you like quiet, do not go to Aruba. If you prefer or need a "nightlife" or a 5* hotel, don't go to Bonaire.

I can not personally comment on the diving in Aruba, but have heard the reefs are beat up. Having spent last week in Bonaire, the reefs there are in great shape.

Is that like saying I have not been to New Jersey, and I would never go there, because I have seen pictures of Elizabeth and Newark and Atlantic City?? But who cares about the beautiful shore, ski mountains, nature trails, fruit farms, lakes, wind surfing, kayaking, kite boarding, mt. biking, photography and bird watching, sailing, etc. I guess ignorance is bliss.

My wife and I just got back from Aruba on May 7, 2010, did a week of diving there. All three locations will be relaxing, As it was stated before, Bonaire and Curacao are a bit more off the beaten path, where diving is the prime activity and diving is measured in "hours per day" vs "dives per day". :snorkel:

No matter where you end up going, do your research for a dive operation and book early. The better ones do fill up fast.

How was the diving on Aruba? What did you see?

Even though the ABC islands are relatively close to each other, there is a big difference in the underwater geography. Take a look at an UW map of the region. As I recall Aruba lies on the continental shelf, Curacao on the edge, and Bonaire off the edge. I think this accounts for part of the differences in the diving.

My wife and I won a TRIP to Curacao last summer. Great reefs on the less traveled northern part of the island. I have friends that have been to Bonaire several times and swear by it. From what I can ascertain though, Bonaire is mostly beach dives where( at least where we were at) most of Curacao is volcanic cliffs with beaches scattered every 2 or 3 miles. So a lot of the diving is from a boat. Also, fishing is allowed on a lot of the reefs so the fish are smaller than Bonaire, which is all a marine park. Curacao has several Marine parks in the southern and central parts of the island but aren't as nice as the northern reefs according to other divers that we talked to.

Why Bonaire? In 2 words: diving freedom.

In Bonaire, you just rent a pickup, throw some tanks on the trunk and go diving. All spots are shore diving, you gear up on the pickup and go to the water, no one to tell you what to do, where to go, when to stop. Of course that brings you (and your buddy) RESPONSIBILITY to deal with your dives.

For those a little experienced (let's say: AOW with something like 40-50 dives) it's the perfect place to become independent, navigate, gear, control the dive search the fish all by yourself. Such a great School.

Why Bonaire? In 2 words: diving freedom.

In Bonaire, you just rent a pickup, throw some tanks on the trunk and go diving. All spots are shore diving, you gear up on the pickup and go to the water, no one to tell you what to do, where to go, when to stop. Of course that brings you (and your buddy) RESPONSIBILITY to deal with your dives.

For those a little experienced (let's say: AOW with something like 40-50 dives) it's the perfect place to become independent, navigate, gear, control the dive search the fish all by yourself. Such a great School.

Well Stated!:wink:

seaducer, I am in agreement 100%. Last year we spent a few days in Aruba before heading to Bonaire. It was like Las Vegas with a beach, we have no desire to return. On the other hand, we are returning to Bonaire for our 4th time. We focus on diving and snorkeling and look for some peace and quiet and some good restaurants.....

I've been to Aruba but not Bonaire. The diving was great and the restaurants were spectacular. My guess is it is like comparing the East and West Ends of the Cayman Islands. If you want to be near it all, fantastic beaches, good nightlife, and great variety of activities and restaurants, then go to Aruba. If you want to be away from it all, and be able wake up and walk to your dive site, then go to Bonaire. For me, if I were going on vacation just to dive, and I was trying to get as many dives in as I could, then I would go to Bonaire. If I wanted to go on a vacation to do just "some" diving, some beach combing and some other activities, then I would go to Aruba.

For me, if I were going on vacation just to dive, and I was trying to get as many dives in as I could, then I would go to Bonaire. If I wanted to go on a vacation to do just "some" diving, some beach combing and some other activities, then I would go to [-]Aruba[/-] Curacao.

Thor - I fixed your typo...

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom