Why Computers Are Not DIR!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randolphscott:
I don't have alot of dives under my belt, but I think it shows respect for other divers when you can demonstrate preparedness and have planned for and worked out some contingencies.

I had a buddy freak on a dive once because he lost his mask and it really was a bad experience, but it could have been so much worse. I'll be reading the DIR threads closely.

But back to more important stuff: Does anyone have access to the original BSOD mpg anymore? The link in the original post doesn't work.

That's when you whip out your back-up mask from your pocket.... :) Or switch into touch contact mode and do a mask less ascent.... :)

Does anyone have downloaded the file and will be kind enough to share it ???
Thanks a lot...

With all the "I lost...My Buddy lost...my mask...their mask" stuff...why not a short lanyard on the mask to one of the shoulder D-rings so it if gets knocked off it is a simple retrieve...

Mike

mikerault:
With all the "I lost...My Buddy lost...my mask...their mask" stuff...why not a short lanyard on the mask to one of the shoulder D-rings so it if gets knocked off it is a simple retrieve...
The chances of completely losing your mask are probably not so great that it needs to be tethered. Not to mention the fact that a lanyard that is loose enough to allow sufficient slack for adequate head movement, is probably going to be a huge entanglement hazard. I'd be really concerned about it catching my valve or first stage and getting yanked off my face.

Ideally, you should be able to complete your ascent and deco without a mask (and with your buddy's assistance). If you're concerned that you can't do that, then you should carry a backup (preferably clipped off in a pocket). Alternatively, you could complete your ascent and deco by swapping a buddy's mask back and forth (note that I would only recommend this second option for a three person team).

I have no issues with doing it without a mask if I have to...but we tether, snap, bungee, hook up everything else, why not the mask? Of course putting it under the hood helps quie a bit.

mikerault:
I have no issues with doing it without a mask if I have to...but we tether, snap, bungee, hook up everything else, why not the mask? Of course putting it under the hood helps quie a bit.
When I carry a backup mask, it actually is tethered - I clip it off in a pocket with a double-ender. However there is no compelling reason to tether the mask that I am wearing, and a lot of really good reasons (stated above) not to. So I don't see much benefit to clipping it off - the chances of losing a mask are so small to begin with that I am not really that concerned about it.

As far as wearing the mask strap under the hood, that is a bad idea due to thermal issues. You lose a significant amount of body heat through your head, and wearing the strap outside the hood helps to reduce the effects of that. It also helps to prevent exhaled air from leaking up into the hood and creating a "balloon" effect (which is really annoying, if you've ever had it happen to you).

mikerault:

Snag issue with the long hose.... would you clip it off to your chest d ring? Under or over the long hose?

mikerault:

Mike

broken strap.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom