Why dive in a quarry? Should you log them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To suggest that different people go underwater in scuba geat for different reasons is neither a reflection of revolutionary insight nor heretical. So, the fact that another person considers quarry dives to be rubbish, or chooses not to log them is simply a reflection of that diversity of motivation.
Agreed - but for a person to suggest that another person choosing to dive quarries needs to have their head checked just because they don't like quarry diving is ignorant, childish and insulting...

What do you think: "unless you can't get to the sea" means? I said they were rubbish and I would not dive in one unless I could not go to the sea. I wasn't conveniently ignoring anything.

While Marie is certainly guilty of slinging some unwarranted insults, I think a large part of the issue was that you entered the thread in hostile manner. It may have been unintentional, but was hostile none the less. Your initial tone caused many to discount some the the subtle specifics of the post. Also, I think you are wrong in your assessment. I can think of many reasons that a quarry dive could be chosen over the ocean--not every ocean dive is Truk Lagoon.

Agreed - but for a person to suggest that another person choosing to dive quarries needs to have their head checked just because they don't like quarry diving is ignorant, childish and insulting...

In all fairness, and please excuse me if I am repeating what someone else has already said, but I believe that, in context, people being mental for diving quarries was preceded by "Unless you have no chance of getting into the sea.." Not sure if that sufficiently softens the blow in any case.

While Marie is certainly guilty of slinging some unwarranted insults, I think a large part of the issue was that you entered the thread in hostile manner. It may have been unintentional, but was hostile none the less. Your initial tone caused many to discount some the the subtle specifics of the post.

Unless I'm unaware of some sort of back-channel battle going on here, his original post was this:

"Just curious, but do you count quarry dives in your #logged?"

How do you read a tone into that? I mean, maybe you are assuming that he was picking a fight, and maybe he was, but I sure didn't see that from either this or his subsequent posts.

Nothing makes that point better than this.

Yes, the thread is closed. I can still post, so I will.

This thread has been hijacked by someone who seems to have some history with the OP. He knows it too, I believe. It's my personal opinion that he derives some sort of childish pleasure at this and that sucks. He already knows that she doesn't like interactions from him, yet he pesters her. Grow up and stop the picking on people you don't like. I hate this passive aggressive crap and Marie doesn't deserve to be a recipient of any of it. So stop it already.

People ask why some of us dive dark places and if you are unwilling to try it, then you'll never know. Such willful ignorance is the worst kind. No need to pick a fight because you don't "get it". A lot of us like to dive what others seem to hate or think is 'rubbish'. That's OK. It just means that there's more room for us while you miss out. To whit: I live in Key Largo, the self proclaimed "Dive Capital of the World". Yet, I often jump in the Van and drive 6+ hours to dive caves, sinks, rivers and even mud holes. Talk about dark. Talk about challenging. Do I record those? I should, but I'm lazy. I like ocean dives, but I far prefer non stingy water. Some people dive to see fish. That's fun, but I often dive just for the peace and quiet of it all. Let me push back a couple of thousand feet from the exit. You may not like it or see the point in it, but then: I'm not you and I'm happy about that.

In addition, I had heard about blind divers diving and truly never understood why. Then I took a Diveheart class which emphasizes empathy training. I had to set up my gear blindfolded, do a giant stride into a pool, be led around by the hand, keep neutral & trim and so forth all without the use of my eyes. That was the most fun I've ever had in a pool. IT WAS A BLAST!!! I didn't see a thing, but the technical aspect was 2 phreakin phun. I'm an instructor now. Now I understand because I decided to try something new. No willful ignorance for me. If someone is diving and having fun, well I want to have fun too! Dive and let dive. No need to harsh anyone's mellow because you don't "get it".

This interests me, having never dived in a quarry, but often in the ocean. Could you elaborate?

Different challenges and rewards.

When I dive a quarry it's because I want those conditions for the dive (or it's the closest water to me at the time). Some advantages are easy entry, perhaps better infrastructure, different water characteristics, safer provisionally.

I'm still curious what might have you wondering why those dives would be not logged.

Regards,
Cameron

I dove stoney cove in the UK at the weekend six dives max depth 27m temp 38f and viz was crap. Didn't log those dives as it's Always the same every time I go. The only difference this weekend was that I only used half a tank on each 40min dive compared to the usual most. Not something I will forget so I'm not worried about logging it. Nothing wrong with either way in my opinion unless you may need to show some of your dives to a third party (ie training). Some may consider it well worth logging. Just saying.

Go back a page and read the part where I say "unless you can't get to the sea".

I'm yet to meet anyone who chooses to dive in quarries out of choice. They are second choice and second rate.
I live 25 miles from some excellent coastline with lots of wrecks even a world famous chalk reef but most of my diving has been in a quarry. This is because it's often easier to drive 140 miles to a quarry for the weekend for guaranteed diving than being at the mercy of tides and weather. The coastal diving here is also quite a short season and not the place to try out untested new gear in my opinion. The North Sea is a beast in the winter and not a place to be keeping in practice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom