WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
The divers at my LDS have been very helpful and have not sold me a lot of crap. Even have steered me away from stuff that was more expensive for gear they felt would be better for me. That might be because they are so successful and do a lot of business that they don't need to pressure you?
Unlike those pesky Internet shops with their high-pressure no-diving salesmen :eyebrow:

pilot fish:
The divers at my LDS have been very helpful and have not sold me a lot of crap. Even have steered me away from stuff that was more expensive for gear they felt would be better for me. That might be because they are so successful and do a lot of business that they don't need to pressure you?

The opposite can be true as well though. I know LDS'es that are successful and do a lot of business because they are pushy and do pressure people.

pilot fish:
The profit margin on the lower priced gear was better than the higher priced gear due to their invoice price from the manufacturer :wink:

[[[......You have to know how to talk the talk and feign a certain level of exerience in order to make an effective sale... and, unless what the customer *really* needs can *not* be met with a product in your store, you sell them what you have on hand.

That's how it is being a salesman for technical, often life-support gear.]]]]]]]]]]jon

Interesting

Derek S:
The opposite can be true as well though. I know LDS'es that are successful and do a lot of business because they are pushy and do pressure people.

Yes, you're right. It could be.

different from any other retail sales establishments.

I don't expect the clerks at Radio Shack to be electrical engineers, or the counter guys at Pizza Hut to be nutritionists. All the shop guy has to do is show me the selections available and tell me the lowest price he's willling to take.

Educate yourself on gear selection by doing independent research...the only thing you really need from a dive shop employee is the ability to make correct change when you purchase something.

If you think about it the only person who can make you feel something is yourself (unless maybe your buddy pinches you). Be assertive, if they are making you feel pressure just come out and tell them to back off a little.

cyklon_300:
different from any other retail sales establishments.

I don't expect the clerks at Radio Shack to be electrical engineers, or the counter guys at Pizza Hut to be nutritionists. All the shop guy has to do is show me the selections available and tell me the lowest price he's willling to take.

Educate yourself on gear selection by doing independent research...the only thing you really need from a dive shop employee is the ability to make correct change when you purchase something.

If the counter guys at Pizza Hut are nutritionists then I'm going there for dinner tonight :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom