Why do many people prefer low volume mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It seems that many people prefer low volume mask which I think the only benefit is wider field of view than normal mask. But the big disadvantage is it tends to have fog easier than normal mask since lense is closer to face skin than normal mask. So what are the other advantages of low volume mask over the normal mask?

Thank you,

I dive a very low volume mask in near freezing water, I don't have fogging issues. Proper mask prep is important with any mask.

I think a very wide field of vision in small light form factor is the biggest advantage. I like being able to look up, down, right, left without having the strain my neck or manipulate my body. Its also less likely to get knocked off your face (which 'should' almost never be a concern).

1) Wider field of view.
2) Faster mask clearing, since the volume is lower.
3) Smaller size / lower profile.

Fogging has little to do with the volume of the mask, the benefit of a low volume mask is that it takes a very little amount of air to clear it keeping your buoyancy consistent.
This is my friend Mike showing the benefit.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCalZevZIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dive a low volume mask because of better visibility and the ability to put my camera housing's LCD close to my face if necessary. The only time I have fogging issues is when I've not properly prepared the mask prior to the dive by spitting in it and rubbing it around the inner lens surface.

I believe your fogging theory has little merit.

A low volume mask fits into the protective case built into my fins.

But the big disadvantage is it tends to have fog easier than normal mask since lense is closer to face skin than normal mask.

A low volume mask will actually be LESS likely to fog. "Why?" you may ask.

Because there's less VOLUME of moist air inside it. That means few droplets of water to condense on the surface of the mask.

Good post. I'm using a TUSA CEOS M212 which TUSA claimed to be Low volume. But I tried Cressi Big Eye And Cressi Ocean. Where they've designed in such away that the lower part of the lens are even nearer to the face makes it possible even see my chest strap.

And cressi is cheaper too...

Back
Top Bottom