why do regs freeflow on surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Incidentally, I found that when I had one of those "octo ball" secondary reg holders, the reg so attached would slowly free-flow through the ball (for the same reason as you get a freeflow at the surface). I had to pull the reg out to flood it and then put it back. That was yet another reason (other than that they stink at holding onto a reg on a giant stride) that I did the happy dance when I unwittingly tore the ring out of the ball and decided to go with a snorkel keeper instead. :D

After you have setup your gear and turned on the air, I suggest you press the regulator purge valve before putting the reg. in your mouth. This will blow out any critters that has decided to make a home in your reg before you begin inviting them into join your tonsiles. :eyebrow: Your reg may also freeflow at this point while you are awayfrom water. I teach my students to gently karate chop the reg between the bite tabs of the mouth piece as this provides enough backpressure to stop the freeflow.
In water do as has been suggested and simple face the reg mouthpiece down to stop the freeflow. Some regs are designed to easily freeflow and others will freeflow because they are defective or out of adjustment as has been said.

Take an equipment specialty class to learn more about the inner working of the reg and other pieces of your equipment. The more you know the better the diving is!!!:D :umnik:

Back
Top Bottom