Why do some lobster taste different than others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with reel. Your lobster should not be dying in your well. Check the pump and make sure there is decent circulation. If you boil the lobsters live(spiny or Main)you will not get that funky taste...but they will squeal in horrendous pain as they are cooked alive!:wink:
Get Wet!

Once, the same taste was there even when the bug was tailed alive and cooked right away. It was still twitching on the grill..

2 canibals were eating a circus clown - one turned to the other and said - "hey - does this taste funny to you???"

Once, the same taste was there even when the bug was tailed alive and cooked right away. It was still twitching on the grill..

I know this an old post, but I have been getting into bug hunting lately and know exactly what you are talking about. I would almost describe the flavor as "musty." We have been become quite good at icing them and they are alive when we take off the tails. They are completely deveined too.

These posts from people talking about Maine lobster are no help in Florida. Totally different animal.

Just wish there was some hard data and not all this conjecture.

For the same reasons people taste different.

Maybe there is something about your livewell. If you keep it running all day, the pump puts fresh saltwater in it and the overflow should take out waste material from the live lobsters. You mention that some of your lobsters are dead, well, something doesn't sound right here. They should all be alive and frisky with the continuous additon of fresh saltwater. So, I would look at that setup very carefully.
I have lived in the Keys and been out all day but when I docked, my bugs were very much alive and they tasted just fine when we prepared them for a meal. I don't know what else to say, it just sounds like something is not right in your livewell.

How do you cook the tails? Whole, or do you remove the shell and red membrane that covers the meat?

How do you cook the tails? Whole, or do you remove the shell and red membrane that covers the meat?

I was speaking to the owner of the Hogfish bar and grill in Stock Island, who prepares the only spiny I will eat. He says the secret is cleaning off the membrane. You will not get a whole split tail in his restaurant, but will have the tail meat prepared in different ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom