Why do tech-divers wear black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because any color goes with black.

the Haute K-oiture

How about thermal absorption?

Well, black is slimming, and a the less resistance you have in water, the lower your air consumtion will be.

And BTW, Nordic Blue don't make black gloves anymore... Probably didn't sell for some reason...

It is for obvious reasons. Since the tanks are often white, when you are laying face down on the bottom, the searchers will see the outline of the tanks better on the dark background

It is for obvious reasons. Since the tanks are often white, when you are laying face down on the bottom, the searchers will see the outline of the tanks better on the dark background

I don't know if you were trying to be funny or not, but with recent tragedies in our waters, not to mention the fact that a friend of mine just perished while diving recently, I find your answer somewhat dark and innapropriate. But that's just how I feel about it.

Safe diving

It's so if someone does something idiotic underwater.... no one else will be able to differentiate from each other and therefore unable to laugh at them about it later. Essentially... it's camouflage!

I did not realize that black was back so to speak. When I started diving wetsuits were any color one wanted, so long as the color was black. A lot of other gear was black but with some exceptions. The French Squale mask and US mfgt Viking fins were blue. Some Italian knives had yellow handles. However, the divers that I knew wore all black or mostly black. I still do. Over the ensuing years I had noticed some extremely colorful divers, literally. At one time, it was difficult to buy black gear but Scubapro was a hold out and I bought some of their stuff from time to time. Now, this new crop fancies themselves in black, huh, welcome to the club. Those mismatched colors made me squint a little anyway.

I don't wear black. In dark, cold water, why the h*ll would I want to look like every other (tech) diver? Why would I want to have a black wing when at the surface a red wing stands out more? Plus, I want the boat captain to remember my fluorescent pink nylon webbing. I want the other divers to be able to locate me due to fluorescent yellow stripes on my blue drysuit.

And, nobody seems to want to mistake my gear for anybody else's gear: few buy OMS Slipstream fins here (YES!)
:D Bonus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom