Why do tech-divers wear black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black??? I don't wear no stinkin black! I prefer Yumm.. Yumm.. Yellow :D

oxycheq-trim3.jpg

Black kind of gets lost in the background don't ya think???

oxycheq-trim4.jpg

Not all divers wear black. :D

I don't wear black. In dark, cold water, why the h*ll would I want to look like every other (tech) diver? Why would I want to have a black wing when at the surface a red wing stands out more? Plus, I want the boat captain to remember my fluorescent pink nylon webbing. I want the other divers to be able to locate me due to fluorescent yellow stripes on my blue drysuit.

On the surface?? When I was diving the Yukon a friend said he could see my PINK wing from the surface when my dive buddy and I were 60-100fsw in the cold murky San Dieg ocean below. He was in the water directly above us -- but he said it was like a neon beacon! :blinking:

Attachments

• jumpav.jpg
    jumpav.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 249
  • smpink.jpg
    smpink.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 118
On the surface?? When I was diving the Yukon a friend said he could see my PINK wing from the surface when my dive buddy and I were 60-100fsw in the cold murky San Dieg ocean below. He was in the water directly above us -- but he said it was like a neon beacon! :blinking:

Heh, heh, right on!

And Mike, excellent photos to illustrate the point!

Say! does anyone remember when dang near everything had to be Jacques Cousteau YELLOW?

BTW: Tek Girl and Mike.....I have thrown off the surly bonds of convention and purchased as much Blue dive gear as I can afford! I think your respective gear choices are excellent!

The actual reason for choosing black gear is to facilitate optimal streamlining and minimalization. The "color" black is actually the absence of all color. Since color doesn't bring anything to the dive why lug it around? By utilizing black we eliminate unneccesary drag and clutter caused by non-blackness, thereby maximizing safety, efficiency and enjoyment.

Are you serious? :wink:

Black goes faster.... or is it Red.....now I'm confused. :shakehead:

If you consider John Chatterton a Tech Diver, than they don't ALWAYS wear black! He was found guilty of diving Blue Force Fins (I think they were force Fins) in a recent episode of Treasure Divers. They were definitely... Blue! :11:

The entire team doing IMAX filming was wearing yellow Twin Jets! Yes, split fins, in current, lugging around a 250lbs camera, at depth! You may not consider them technical, but since they were filming at 250fsw, and wearing rebreathers, I'd call that technical.

The actual reason for choosing black gear is to facilitate optimal streamlining and minimalization. The "color" black is actually the absence of all color. Since color doesn't bring anything to the dive why lug it around? By utilizing black we eliminate unneccesary drag and clutter caused by non-blackness, thereby maximizing safety, efficiency and enjoyment.
The 'nonexistence' streamlining principal.

I had an interesting discussion with my LDS about this...black, black, black-ness. He mentioned a few years ago almost ALL the manufacturers were offering multi colors - pinks, blues and greens - and of course BLACK.

The pink colors, and greens and blue gear all sat on the shelves...collecting dust.

So of course the local dive crowd - still mostly men, sadly - was buying all this Darth Vader stuff, and well...money talks and gear manufacturers went back to mostly black gear.

This makes no real logic, because almost ALL tanks are white.

It's bizzare.

Around here, I see a lot more grey tanks than white...

Black hides the mildew better.....for folks whose gear never seems to get dry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom