Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, I hear you but I'm not sure its relevant. ... With that in mind, the Air 2 was by definition firmly in the "octo/air share" era rather than the "buddy breathing" era and hold over skills from the buddy breathing era have no real relevance to how trhe Air 2 was designed to be used.

DA Aquamaster,

My comments 1-3 above were meant to suggest that certain prior training made/makes adopting the Air II much easier, even if that prior training didn't/doesn't pertain specifically to using an Air II. For example, if that prior training leaves you extremely practiced and comfortable removing your primary (to, for example, buddy breathe or manually inflate/deflate your BC at depth), then adopting an Air II is much easier, I think. For another example, if your prior training leaves you extremely practiced and comfortable reaching over your shoulder to manually trip your BC dump valve, then you will naturally think of doing this (manually tripping your dump valve) as another option for controlling your buoyancy when you're breathing from an Air II, I think.

I agree, training designed specifically for using an Air II is (should be?) preferred for preparing someone to use an Air II. But, clearly (to me, at least), these hold-over skills from the buddy breathing era are still relevant. They can not only make adopting an Air II easier, but also leave you with important skills to use if the Air II fails.

Safe Diving,

Ronald

I agree, training designed specifically for using an Air II is (should be?) preferred for preparing someone to use an Air II. But, clearly (to me, at least), these hold-over skills from the buddy breathing era are still relevant. They can not only make adopting an Air II easier, but also leave you with important skills to use if the Air II fails.

... assuming that you're using them with someone who has been similarly trained. Attempting to buddy-breathe with someone who has never been shown how to do it, or practiced it, can be an interesting experience ... particularly when it comes time for you to get your reg back ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

[video=youtube;F9gGJ6eu5vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gGJ6eu5vk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

... assuming that you're using them with someone who has been similarly trained. Attempting to buddy-breathe with someone who has never been shown how to do it, or practiced it, can be an interesting experience ... particularly when it comes time for you to get your reg back ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Buddy breathing worked fine - but it was predicated on the idea of having to divers who were competent, skilled enough to coordinate efforts under water, sufficiently panic resistant and disciplined enough to actually share the reg.

Yesterday I read a thread in the "going pro" section about the "surprise" gear exchange drill for DMs - the general context being that this is apparently in some way a challenging skill to master. Given that we did the same thing as a basic open water drill 25-30 years ago, it implies really bad things about the current industry standards to even suggest that such an evolution would/should be even remotely difficult for a DM candidate.

Sadly, it does not take much to become a DM today, and it takes far less skill to become a diver.

[video=youtube;F9gGJ6eu5vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gGJ6eu5vk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

That sums it up.

Bob
------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

Although the details are not clear, the last word we had on the recent death of two divers in Key Largo was that one of them was out of air, and the second went to his assistance without an octo on her regulator set. Apparently they were buddy breathing when last seen alive.

Personally, I love the Air2. This, as many people have stated in the thread, is a matter of personal preference. I would not persuade or dissuade anyone from purchasing a BC w/ Air2. If you are not sure and are reading this thread asking, "should I or shouldn't I..." Try it out and see if you like it.

Personally, I love the Air2. This, as many people have stated in the thread, is a matter of personal preference. I would not persuade or dissuade anyone from purchasing a BC w/ Air2. If you are not sure and are reading this thread asking, "should I or shouldn't I..." Try it out and see if you like it.

One of the scariest things I've seen on another diver was last summer in Roatan. He was diving with a full facemask with an Air2 as his 'backup'.

I did ask him why the full facemask, he said he didn't like water on his face. . .

Any sort of failure on his main secondary would have been very "interesting"

Fortunately he came with his own buddy and I wasn't asked to team with him

And back to your original question
should I our shouldn't I
, why would you ever want your 'backup' regulator to be less that the one you're currently breathing from ?

Personally, I love the Air2.
We are in our 4th generation of Air II's in training and " back-up Life Support & Auto-inflation!"

Back
Top Bottom