Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would I never dive a secondary integrated with the BC? I offer this keeping in mind that it is only going to come into use in a high-stress or possbly even a panic situation on the part of the other diver, and high stress on your part as the life-support diver:

1. Too short for effective use. You have to do contortions and twist your bc hose into awkward positions to even be comfortable with the OOA diver If that diver is in a state of panic, it can be very dangerous to be so close and not be able to disentangle as they can pull off your mask, grab other gear, etc.

2. Variation of 1, in a panic situation the OOA diver might jerk you around or break your gear trying to get it the Air II in position.

3. Variation of 2, your might have to surface from depth with your stressed/panicked diver, maybe through a stop, and you have lost total control of your bouyancy compensation. Do you really think they will spit it out so you can add or dump air? Maybe, maybe not. But, both of your lives might depend on you being able to do just that.

4. More remote, but you now have life support tied to the mechanics of non-life support gear (the BC inflator). Not the best choice, to me.

Personally, I use the long hose and have no issue donating the primary when my secondary is hanging inches from my mouth and I, as the diver in control, can reach it in a second, just in case the panicked OOA diver grabs for my primary anyway. I practice this.

Even if I used a more traditional set-up and did not want to donate my primary, I would want my secondary on a hose of at least 60" (the excess length could be routed under my arm and tucked into the bc waist strap) so that the OOA diver could be at a comfortable distance when deployed.

What will you do when it does happen?

In the worst case scenario, a panic diver ( perhaps not even your buddy, but a huge dude in need of air coming out of nowhere ) rips your primary out of your mouth.

I hope you not only travel with your gun, but have it with you U/W.

This exact scenario is why the AIR II works!

If anyone tries to rip my reg out of my mouth, he will be eating his mask. Guaranteed.

Why would I never dive a secondary integrated with the BC? I offer this keeping in mind that it is only going to come into use in a high-stress or possbly even a panic situation on the part of the other diver, and high stress on your part as the life-support diver:

1. Too short for effective use. You have to do contortions and twist your bc hose into awkward positions to even be comfortable with the OOA diver If that diver is in a state of panic, it can be very dangerous to be so close and not be able to disentangle as they can pull off your mask, grab other gear, etc.

2. Variation of 1, in a panic situation the OOA diver might jerk you around or break your gear trying to get it the Air II in position.

3. Variation of 2, your might have to surface from depth with your stressed/panicked diver, maybe through a stop, and you have lost total control of your bouyancy compensation. Do you really think they will spit it out so you can add or dump air? Maybe, maybe not. But, both of your lives might depend on you being able to do just that.

4. More remote, but you now have life support tied to the mechanics of non-life support gear (the BC inflator). Not the best choice, to me.

Personally, I use the long hose and have no issue donating the primary when my secondary is hanging inches from my mouth and I, as the diver in control, can reach it in a second, just in case the panicked OOA diver grabs for my primary anyway. I practice this.

Even if I used a more traditional set-up and did not want to donate my primary, I would want my secondary on a hose of at least 60" (the excess length could be routed under my arm and tucked into the bc waist strap) so that the OOA diver could be at a comfortable distance when deployed.

you misunderstand the basics for the use of a AIR II you do not donate a Air II you donate your primary I have a 48 inch primary which for me is long enough to keep a ooa diver away from me but yet still not cumbersome for length

When am using the AIr II I can still access my inflator and dump valves with out any problem. What I like best about the air ii is the buttons for me they are easier to operate than a traditional inflator. I use my air II even when I dive a octo necklaced simply becasue I like the layout of the buttons.

and on a SP jacket with a separate pull-to-dump valve, it becomes very easy (or even if you set up your LPI as a pull-to-dump)....

you misunderstand the basics for the use of a AIR II you do not donate a Air II you donate your primary I have a 48 inch primary which for me is long enough to keep a ooa diver away from me but yet still not cumbersome for length

When am using the AIr II I can still access my inflator and dump valves with out any problem. What I like best about the air ii is the buttons for me they are easier to operate than a traditional inflator. I use my air II even when I dive a octo necklaced simply becasue I like the layout of the buttons.

I use a long hose and a bungeed backup, simply because it makes sense for me. I don't have a problem with people using an air 2, I don't see a safety issue, as I'm sure they are just fine as regs. I think however, it is a solution without a problem...my backup reg, never seems to be in my way.

But you wrote that you use an air 2 with a bungeed backup. How does that work? I can't see how the air 2 would be long enough to donate. Is your other reg somehow configured to be a quick release on a necklace?

I use a long hose and a bungeed backup, simply because it makes sense for me. I don't have a problem with people using an air 2, I don't see a safety issue, as I'm sure they are just fine as regs. I think however, it is a solution without a problem...my backup reg, never seems to be in my way.

But you wrote that you use an air 2 with a bungeed backup. How does that work? I can't see how the air 2 would be long enough to donate. Is your other reg somehow configured to be a quick release on a necklace?

I would never donate an air II or a secondary I always donate a primary. one of the stated reasons for the air II is one less hose but for me that is not the reason I use it. I use it becasue I like the buttons. On my SP reg set I use it also as the octo but when I am diving one of my other regs I use it simply as a inflator that just happens to have an octo attached that would be available If i were to select it.

I would never donate an air II or a secondary I always donate a primary. one of the stated reasons for the air II is one less hose but for me that is not the reason I use it. I use it becasue I like the buttons. On my SP reg set I use it also as the octo but when I am diving one of my other regs I use it simply as a inflator that just happens to have an octo attached that would be available If i were to select it.

Oh, I think I get it. Basically you are diving with 3 second stages, primary, bungee backup and air 2. Sorry about that.

Oh, I think I get it. Basically you are diving with 3 second stages, primary, bungee backup and air 2. Sorry about that.

yup three second stages that brings one more failure point however it is a non issue if you take care of your gear.

Honestly, if I knew I could completely trust them in cold water, I likely would have it as another option to my LH/BO....
778813_4876961335188_1149600009_o.jpg

hmmmmm.....-2* f saturday, Bob!!!! notice the airsource hanging on my oceanic probe! used a mr 22 abyss without enviro kit-usually my 109's,as you know!
i think i was the only one who didn't have problems!
of course the water was warm!!!!!!!

yup three second stages that brings one more failure point however it is a non issue if you take care of your gear.

well, one man's additional failure point, is another man's extra layer of redundancy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom