Why do we white balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually, I just made a maistake when I entered the discussion and thought it was a thread about underwater WB in general - I was thinking about RAW for still photography. You can always tell the new members :))

There are a number of video cameras that can shoot RAW. But you can bet they are not doing it in HDV or AVI!

Broadcast cameras I know, but on the consumer level I would be shocked and it wouldn't be cheap! So we aren't talkin Drbill?:D:confused::shakehead:

Actually, the DVX100 can be modified to shoot raw. It doesn't come from the factory that way. And no, on the consumer level from the factory, there is NOTHING out there that can shoot raw. What would be the point? The glass is already a limiting factor at the HDV level. I'm AMAZED the HVX looks as good as it does. That is a heck of a camera.

You can do 30fps raw at 4K resolution on the Red One :D I wonder how large a housing for that thing (with associated HDDs) would be though!

One housing is already available for RED, Gates will be releasing theirs. Comparitively, RED is not that large of a camera. Try the F23 with the drive array on it. On the Pana Genesis. Now THAT is a behemoth. The Viper also shoots RAW I believe as do the Dalsa cams.

Howard's Home Made Housing for his (I think it is) HDWF900R:

806_P9030373_ME_HOWARD_HALL.jpg

One housing is already available for RED, Gates will be releasing theirs. Comparitively, RED is not that large of a camera. Try the F23 with the drive array on it. On the Pana Genesis. Now THAT is a behemoth. The Viper also shoots RAW I believe as do the Dalsa cams.

Scary! Maybe I'll try to bum a few seconds of raw footage to play with when I get fiber to the home (i.e., unfortunately probably never).

Howard's Home Made Housing for his (I think it is) HDWF900R:

806_P9030373_ME_HOWARD_HALL.jpg
i got to play with that one for a week... damn it was fun getting it off and on the boat...

I thought I'd share this. Using a $300 Canon SD 970 with a Canon $150 housing that does have manual white balance control, here's some video I took in our cold waters of the Monterey area at 100 feet.

YouTube - Colors of Carmel-Scuba

Doc! That was magnificent. I've always wondered what video would look like lit by red laser light! That was funny.

In all seriousness, very nice for Youtube. And really shows how the camera to subject distance really changes things underwater.

Were you on a scooter or did you speed up the video?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom