Why do you get dry suit squeeze and not wet suit squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakkis:
You are forgetting one important factor, hydrostatic pressure acting on your body.

Your body tissues (being composed of water for the sake of this argument) are under the same pressure as the water surrounding them. So yes... as you descend, your skin pushes outwards towards air pockets inside your dry suit with the same pressure as the water outside the suit pushes inwards.

Exactly. That's why I mentioned Pascal early in the thread. Your body is mostly water so hydrostatic pressure applied to any part of your body will be transmitted to all parts of your body.

Soggy:
Yup, I concur. It's been explained a number of times.
RAmen

Sorry reefhound, I didn’t mean to put words in your mouth, but you did seem to hit the nail on the head. As for as the squeeze being real or not, I guess it depends on your definition of real. While there could be a sensation of discomfort caused be the dry suit material pinching the skin because of folds or creases as another poster mentioned, it is completely untrue that the pressure exerted on the diver is different when wearing a dry suit verses a wet suit. The air in the dry suit is exerting the exact same pressure on the diver as the water on the out side.

Its not called SQUEEZE because its a PINCHING sensation..

Sorry guys, drysuit squeeze is not pinching. If you've ever dived in a drysuit, you would know this. Yes, sometimes you get pinched, but it is a uniform squeeze.

You are inside a balloon that is shrinking due to Boyle's law. It's no more complicated than this. You can try and try and try to make it more complicated, but it's not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom