Why do you penetrate wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a question for curiosity sake.

Given the risks involved in wreck penetration it makes me wonder what motivates people to start with it. I'm not talking about swim-throughs, but real laying-line type penetrations.

So.....what's your motivation?

R..

Treasure...
Sometimes in the classic sense, but also in memorabilia.
Some do it for the same reason folks go into caves or climb mountains.
I only do it when I want to see what's there.
Rick

Diver0001:

Given the risks involved in wreck penetration it makes me wonder what motivates people to start with it. I'm not talking about swim-throughs, but real laying-line type penetrations.

R..
I am a marine engineer and I am fascinated with old machinery. I love looking at old barnacle encrusted pumps, boilers etc and figure how they worked. Also what Rick said.

Diver0001:

R..

Dude: if you're asking, you haven't been into a pristine engine room with intact gauges and tools laying around on benches...

Why do people jump out of planes, race motor vehicles, climb big rocks, ride bulls and so on.

Because they are there :D and thats what tickles their fancy.

Gary D.

To scare the snot out of my wife? At least that what she says. :wink: Actually, I appreciate it for the training discipline it requires, for the intense focus it facilitates, for the sense of adventure and wonder it provides, and for the chance to spend too much time and money doing something nobody in their right mind would ever consider.

Doppler:
Dude: if you're asking, you haven't been into a pristine engine room with intact gauges and tools laying around on benches...

Well, Steve, that stuff just doesn't turn my crank. Never has.....

Some of the guys I dive with go in and hack that stuff off and take it home to add to their ...(*cough*junk*cough)...collection. What excites me about wrecks are the history and the stories.

R..

i don't do wrecks, but i am starting to do caves... why?

because not going in seems like such a shame when i *could* do it if i tried

Each wreck is a time capsule and what you may find inside could be a story about someone or something

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom