Why do you penetrate wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be a witness to the history, to see what happened and how nature and man collide, to be experience something unique, somthing to ponder and understand during these surface intervals we call work, and on some to pay respects to those who perished in the wreck.

One of the things I really enjoy is describing the inside of a wreck and relating it to the history of the ship and the event that brought her down.

and now back to work, while I day dream about going back into the San Vito (all 11 crew rescued) later this month.

Jerry

No great profound reasons for me...I'm not a big history buff, or an expert on ship construction but it's kind of fun to see what's inside. I look at the outside...and the inside and...it's just a dive.

I have an inherent fascination for caves, always have and even wrot a thesis on them..

As a diver there is the challenge, the beauty, going where no one or few hve gone before, but mainly to get away from the thundering crowd of students and coral crushing noobs.

To go where only the few will have the opportunity. Once the ship lies at the bottom of the ocean and out of the average mans reach, she becomes a becon of fascination for me. There is something majestic about exploring something that doesn't belong in an environment that is hostile. The challenge, the beauty, the history...

Its just like looking at a car wreck, you know you shouldnt but you can so you do. besides you might hit the mother load, lol

Diver0001:
Just a question for curiosity sake.

Given the risks involved in wreck penetration it makes me wonder what motivates people to start with it. I'm not talking about swim-throughs, but real laying-line type penetrations.

So.....what's your motivation?

R..

As with all things in life, it depends on how big the hole is. :)

Diver0001:
Well, Steve, that stuff just doesn't turn my crank. Never has.....

Some of the guys I dive with go in and hack that stuff off and take it home to add to their ...(*cough*junk*cough)...collection. What excites me about wrecks are the history and the stories.

R..

No one is going to miss one plate, one cup, and one saucer.

Back
Top Bottom