Why do you penetrate wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triton94949:
Trimix works really well starting at 120 ft.

Yeah, I know. I've been using Helitrox/Trimix at 120 to 170. I still need the training for Full Blown Trimix.

I have a cup, just need a saucer, I think Gary Gentile still does sell it though.

By the time I reach that level of training and skills to dive a wreck like that, I think the Doria will be long rotted away.

But hey, I finally did get my name on Shipwreck Central for the wreck of the Tonawanda in Lake Erie after all this time :D

reefraff:
To scare the snot out of my wife? At least that what she says. :wink: Actually, I appreciate it for the training discipline it requires, for the intense focus it facilitates, for the sense of adventure and wonder it provides, and for the chance to spend too much time and money doing something nobody in their right mind would ever consider.
Oh yeah. And my wife sometimes wants to kill me, too.

Why do I penetrate wrecks?
-For the same reasons that I dive in the first place.

"Everyone" swims and snorcles. Some people want to stay down longer or go deeper so they take up diving, some don´t.
Sooner or later every diver sees a wreck. Some people want to go inside, some don´t.
Same with caves/caverns (as I´m just finding out).

Just a matter of degrees. I penetrate wrecks because I want to see whats inside. A better question might be why you dont? ;-)

grazie42:
Why do I penetrate wrecks?
-For the same reasons that I dive in the first place.

....snip....

Just a matter of degrees. I penetrate wrecks because I want to see whats inside. A better question might be why you dont? ;-)

Well, I do but I know what motivates me. I was curious what motivates other people.

Personally I can relate best to the guy who keeps thinking "what's around the next corner". That's the main draw that gets me inside stuff. I can also relate to the sense of history that Steve was talking about although my sense of history isn't as connected to engine room components as some of the others. Maybe it's because I don't usually recognize what I'm seeing..... LOL. I'm more inclined to go to the places where people ate and slept, at least on wrecks where the history of the boat itself is well known. If it's a new wreck (unknown identity) then we do make an effort to identify them. In that case the focus is on recovering relevant artifacts and that will get me into other places. In either case i don't take any penetration lightly and I certainly don't make deep penetrations without a plan and a goal. Usually new wrecks are measured, mapped and explored superficially before we make any plans to go inside. I can take us dozens of dives before we identify most new wrecks. In my case I'll often make 4-6 dives on any sizeable wreck before I have good enough orientation to feel comfortable going in.

R..

triton94949:
No one is going to miss one plate, one cup, and one saucer.
Thats what the last 50 guys who dove the wreck said

Rick Murchison:
Treasure...

HAHA! I immediately imagined a pirate. Parrot, hook hand and all.

I'm planning on taking my wreck diving course first thing now that the season has began. It just doesn't seem right to live in the great lakes and not take a look inside the ships :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom