Why does SB time you out on your session?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If I'm checking the posts I'm subscribed too, and get distracted for about 15 minutes or so, and come back to the page, the ones I haven't checked yet are all gone. As are the news posts I haven't had time to check yet. It's like I had checked everything and then logged on again, but in reality, just had other things to attend to. Is there some setting that I'm missing where I can control this? Thanks.

Simply put tracking your activity using methods other than a 15 minute timeout session requires substantial resources and changes how the site works. For that reason we use a cookie method to determine activity.

Worse than that, it times you out while you are typing a response. That's what's irritating.

What criteria are they using to determine activity? It does seem to time out in the middle of doing something. Thanks.

DSDO

fairybasslet:
If I'm checking the posts I'm subscribed too, and get distracted for about 15 minutes or so, and come back to the page, the ones I haven't checked yet are all gone.

Distracted -- yes, I understand that. Like when your boss comes along and inconsiderately interrupts you with some unimportant work request.:D

Walter:
Worse than that, it times you out while you are typing a response. That's what's irritating.

That's why I've started right click copying my longer posts before submitting. It only took losing a couple of long winded posts to fix that.

Aeolus:
What criteria are they using to determine activity? It does seem to time out in the middle of doing something. Thanks.

I'm not sure what criteria they use, but if you are clicking the back and forward buttons to look through a several page thread, that doesn't count as activity.

I have mine set to keep me logged on all the time, but when I finish posting, often the new threads are now marked as read. PITA.

I agree.

awap:
Distracted -- yes, I understand that. Like when your boss comes along and inconsiderately interrupts you with some unimportant work request.:D
ROFLMAO!!! Yeah, something like that. :D

Walter:
I have mine set to keep me logged on all the time, but when I finish posting, often the new threads are now marked as read.
Same here. It doesn't log me off, but suddenly logs me in again, so all the "new since my last visit" threads and posts have been disrupted. Not sure why it does that when I am actively reading / responding etc. A minor annoyance to be sure, but an annoyance nonetheless.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom