Why does SSI not want to honor the new Red Cross training classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhunteriii

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just finished getting recertified at Red Cross for CPR and First Aid. Red Cross now offers blended learing which allows you to do part of the class online and take the tests. Once you have passed the tests you can then go to the local Red Cross chapter and do a 2 hour skills review with a trainer. Once this is complete you get your certification cards. Red Cross says that this training is equivilent to doing the all day course. Now SSI is telling my LDS that they will not honor my Red Cross ceritfications because I did part of it online. My question is why is SSI refusing to honor my certifications even though a Red Cross instructor signed off on my skills? Does SSI believe that they are more qualified than the Red Cross in deciding how classes in CPR/First aide are conducted? According to Red Cross the classes and the skills you learn in them are exactly the same.

Keep us Informed.

I find it interesting that it was not accepted. SSI is big on home study courses. Part of their course development is based upon the consistency in instruction the preprinted materials and audio/visual presentation provide. Most on-line training is identical in that format.

I think the reason SSI won't honor your course, even if the instructor signed off on your skills, you can't prove without a doubt that you wrote your own test and did it without any aid from a book or net source. Look at it this way, you get a paramedic who did all his training on line. He shows he is smart and passes the practical part. In comes a a situation where he needs to call on his book knowledge to save your life but because he did not do his actually work and had used the net to answer his questions on his test, he doesn't recall the information needed to save your life.

I am little shocked that organizations that teach life saving stuff would even go this route of the internet but anyway to make a buck and make it quicker seems to be the way everything is going. I remember the days where speed or convince wasn't everything and in some area's that should still be the norm, such as first aid and cpr courses.

I think the reason SSI won't honor your course, even if the instructor signed off on your skills, you can't prove without a doubt that you wrote your own test and did it without any aid from a book or net source. Look at it this way, you get a paramedic who did all his training on line. He shows he is smart and passes the practical part. In comes a a situation where he needs to call on his book knowledge to save your life but because he did not do his actually work and had used the net to answer his questions on his test, he doesn't recall the information needed to save your life.

I am little shocked that organizations that teach life saving stuff would even go this route of the internet but anyway to make a buck and make it quicker seems to be the way everything is going. I remember the days where speed or convince wasn't everything and in some area's that should still be the norm, such as first aid and cpr courses.
He did a skill review with a live trainer and no access to any unauthorized aids, and the Red Cross is not looking to "make a buck."

So he passed his course ONLINE and did a live review of his skills. Can you tell me without a doubt he did the online course? I am confused why people don't think internet courses are a good thing though? One thing for university and such but in regards to life saving methods and knowledge. You don't want to give anyone a chance to find an end around on that one?

That is just my opinion on this matter.

No idea why the SSI shop won't honor it but that is their call as it is a store run by someone and not SSI.

Now SSI is telling my LDS that they will not honor my Red Cross ceritfications because I did part of it online. My question is why is SSI refusing to honor my certifications even though a Red Cross instructor signed off on my skills? Does SSI believe that they are more qualified than the Red Cross in deciding how classes in CPR/First aide are conducted? According to Red Cross the classes and the skills you learn in them are exactly the same.

No idea why the SSI shop won't honor it but that is their call as it is a store run by someone and not SSI.

The OP stated that SSI is saying that they will not honor his Red Cross certs. It could be that the LDS is not being honest and that is probably why the OP posted here.

I am a little shocked someone can think that.

My view is that this guy has proved his skills in a review with a trainer, and that is proof he has the skills and knowledge to pass the course.

It doesn't matter if he learnt via a book, a classroom, the scary internet or he had it directly downloaded to his brain like they did in the Matrix. The fact is he performed the skills well enough to satisfy a Red Cross instructor - and that is enough for me.

I'd contact SSI and see if it is really SSI, or just the shop. A shops refusal to honor a Red Cross cert might just be a way of selling their class, assuming they are offering one. Maybe that's not the case here, but the online thing could give them an excuse if they want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom