Why does SSI not want to honor the new Red Cross training classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhunteriii, how did the LDS know that you completed the blended course?? Is there a difference in the card?

The temporary first aid card that you get when you complete the first aid part of the training says that it was taken online. I went to the local Red Cross yesterday and I told them that I had not received my permenanent card. They apolgized and printed me a new card. The permanent card is like the CPR and AED cards that I have that SSI says they will accept. I turned that into my LDS and they are sending it to SSI. It seems rather stupid that I had to go to the Red Cross to get a permanent card. If I had waited until my permanent card arrived by mail SSI would not have known that this I had done the blended class.

I'd contact SSI and see if it is really SSI, or just the shop. A shops refusal to honor a Red Cross cert might just be a way of selling their class, assuming they are offering one. Maybe that's not the case here, but the online thing could give them an excuse if they want one.

I do not think that it is the shop. They did not have any CPR/First aid classes scheduled anytime soon so they suggested I go to Red Cross.

I think the reason SSI won't honor your course, even if the instructor signed off on your skills, you can't prove without a doubt that you wrote your own test and did it without any aid from a book or net source. Look at it this way, you get a paramedic who did all his training on line. He shows he is smart and passes the practical part. In comes a a situation where he needs to call on his book knowledge to save your life but because he did not do his actually work and had used the net to answer his questions on his test, he doesn't recall the information needed to save your life.

I am little shocked that organizations that teach life saving stuff would even go this route of the internet but anyway to make a buck and make it quicker seems to be the way everything is going. I remember the days where speed or convince wasn't everything and in some area's that should still be the norm, such as first aid and cpr courses.

The coures are the same and Red Cross is not out to make a buck. You still have to demonstrate that you have a mastery of the skill in the skills session to receive your cards. It amazes me how many people want to reject technology because they fear it. At least online learning provides consistancy that you don't get from individual intructors. It is just like diving instruction some teachers are better than others.

The coures are the same and Red Cross is not out to make a buck. You still have to demonstrate that you have a mastery of the skill in the skills session to receive your cards. It amazes me how many people want to reject technology because they fear it. At least online learning provides consistancy that you don't get from individual intructors. It is just like diving instruction some teachers are better than others.

Sometimes, technology isn't always better and the good old fashion way is more reliable. Again it is my opinion and you clearly seem to think that you have learnt more from a computer that generates questions from a text book over a person who is instructing that could teach just that much more from their experience. Last time I checked, computers go on what they are told and we haven't gotten to the star trek era where computers can think for them selfs and evolve to teach from life experiences.

Sometimes peoples fear to slow down is more dangerous. I guess you like your toys and fun cool ways in doing things.

As for the store, it is any stores right to refuse red cross or st johns as they are not bound by any law to recognize them. So please don't think this is an SSI thing, as clearly the agency does recognize both. The store doesn't.

Cheers

Sometimes, technology isn't always better and the good old fashion way is more reliable.
Cheers

Having taken advanced cardiac life support 8 times the last 19 years, I can tell you that with the way how BLS, ACLS, and other classes are offered today; online courses might actually provide better instruction. Unfortunately, the old fashion way may not exist anymore.

I took an eACLS renewal class, just for the fun of it, about 4 years ago, and completed the practical training in a facility with a live instructor - and it is as good as any instruction I've ever had.

Then I took a live, in person course, 1 year ago, which was the worst course I've ever had. It didn't even qualified to be a course. I complained to the AHA, and they said take it up to the local director, who was the instructor's dad. At the end, they refunded my fee.

I've heard this from EMTs, RNs, and other MDs - these classes are getting so watered down, that it is hard to argue keeping them live. At least with online courses, you will get consistant instruction. Then you do your own homework, and study. And face the same megacode as you do with a live course.

The only first aid course I've ever taken was from PADI, and it was not much to brag about. I'd encourage folks to take CPR/first aid from instructor's who really practice the art - working EMT's or fireman. I probably can teach a course better than any non medical personnel could, but I am not an instructor. It is silly how PADI turn out more EFR instructor's than there will ever be a need for one. I remember reading how one instructor on scubaboard taught only 1 EFR course like the last 3 years. Why even bother maintaining your certificate?

Sometimes, technology isn't always better and the good old fashion way is more reliable. Again it is my opinion and you clearly seem to think that you have learnt more from a computer that generates questions from a text book over a person who is instructing that could teach just that much more from their experience.

Sometimes, technology isn't always worst either. You get consistent delivery, computers are rarely hungover or in bad moods, they never get muddled or mix up words or concepts.

I'm not saying computers (or books, or direct brain downloads) are superior to human teachers - but for simple subjects like basic first aid it's pretty naive to think humans will always do a much better job of teaching and "computer courses" should not be recognised.

There is an additional argument that learning in ones spare time, then doing a 2 hour instructor led assessment will get MORE people trained who would not otherwise have found the spare day needed for a traditional course.

So SSIGuy, time to step up and respond to this one. You've had the weekend off and most of the day to make phone calls. I am anxious to hear a response.

don O

Hey All,

I have been out of my office and not on the web for five days with some rather tough Flu symptoms. As to the question about any on-line CPR/First-aid program we will accept it as long as it is a recognized organization with both local OSHA and federal guidelines. Also the student must do a hands on session with a trainer for it to be valid. I hope this clears this up.

Thanks for your time,

Hey All,

I have been out of my office and not on the web for five days with some rather tough Flu symptoms. As to the question about any on-line CPR/First-aid program we will accept it as long as it is a recognized organization with both local OSHA and federal guidelines. Also the student must do a hands on session with a trainer for it to be valid. I hope this clears this up.

Thanks for your time,
I assume that you mean that ARC is acceptable. But you seem to be ducking the question. What do you mean by local OSHA? State OSHA? Is the course in question recognized by SSI or is it not?

Back
Top Bottom