Why does the tank valve go up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a silly comment.
Here it is mentioned that the scuba valve is up in the top of the tank, but this is only when the tank is in the surface. The most of the time the tank should be horizontal and also up-side-down when we dive. It is supposed that the tank valve will work when we are diving and it is closed when the tank is in the surface.
When we are horizontal diving the valve is no longer up or down.

Just a silly comment.
Here it is mentioned that the scuba valve is up in the top of the tank, but this is only when the tank is in the surface. The most of the time the tank should be horizontal and also up-side-down when we dive. It is supposed that the tank valve will work when we are diving and it is closed when the tank is in the surface.
When we are horizontal diving the valve is no longer up or down.

LOL good way to look at it :)

I imagine having your guys tanks down is a saftey issue, I dont think that you would want to run into a building and get snagged because of a hose running over your shoulder...

I am thinking that in part "valve up" has to do with the origins of the SCUBA system.
Double hose regs, exhaust concerns, and some other reasons I do not know or understand.
So for me.....
I do it like Mike Nelson did it, because he did it that way.

Chug
Picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue....

I am thinking that in part "valve up" has to do with the origins of the SCUBA system.
Double hose regs, exhaust concerns, and some other reasons I do not know or understand.
So for me.....
I do it like Mike Nelson did it, because he did it that way.

Chug
Picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue....

Thanks for the history. Good reason for the valve to be up and just to continue to use it that way.

I imagine having your guys tanks down is a saftey issue, I dont think that you would want to run into a building and get snagged because of a hose running over your shoulder...

Main reason is safety. Valve, for us, is more protected and less snagable(?) in the down position. Plus when I look up my head can't hit it.

I might need a little clarification here....our tanks are a hoop wound composite(we hate heavy things on our backs :cool2:)...So rebreather tanks are made of lighter materials unlike the aluminum/ steel standard tanks?

Haven't done much reading on rebreathers.....yet. Figured I should get the basics down first lol.

I think if you have a government/NASA budget you can get composite tanks for SCUBA too!

As I used to say when I traveled for a living.... company dime it's Hilton every time..... My dollar and anything but Best Western will make me hollar!

Same thing applies in SCUBA. I need equipment that is safe, functional, easily maintained, widely supported, and durable.

Btw, those of us who won't run into fire appreciate those of you who do.....

You can get fiber wrapped cylinders. There about $500 and if I remember correctly have a 15 year life span. And they float like corks.

I think if you have a government/NASA budget you can get composite tanks for SCUBA too!

As I used to say when I traveled for a living.... company dime it's Hilton every time..... My dollar and anything but Best Western will make me hollar!

Same thing applies in SCUBA. I need equipment that is safe, functional, easily maintained, widely supported, and durable.

Btw, those of us who won't run into fire appreciate those of you who do.....

Don't have the nasa budget, lol so no composite tanks in my future... My department isn't looking into a dive team so everything will be on my own. So I'm with you on the durable equipment, that you get alot of bang for your buck.

Thank you for the appreciation of running into burning buildings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom