Why dont I sink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do realize this is totally wrong don't you? If for example the old BC was 2# positive and the wing was 1# positive then you would need 1# less weight to sink than in the BC. Same tank, same wet suit, same body, pretty much same weight to sink?

The BP/W is usually more like 7-9lbs negative, so I usually have about a 10lb difference in weight needs when going from a BC to a Steel BP/W. Its not that I'm carrying less weight, just that I'm carrying it somewhere different.

Tom

The BP/W is usually more like 7-9lbs negative, so I usually have about a 10lb difference in weight needs when going from a BC to a Steel BP/W. Its not that I'm carrying less weight, just that I'm carrying it somewhere different.

The reason I just used the word wing is because the BP is part of the weight needed to sink, making the total weight needed to sink pretty much the same. You do not have a 10# difference in weight needs, just a 10# difference on weight belt needs.

There was a time, back in my prime, when I weighed less than 200lbs, and I was a sinker. Could sit on the bottom of the pool with half a lungful of air and not move a muscle. Alas, as I got older, I kept expanding, and now I'm up to 250lbs and can no longer sink. Now my bald spot stays dry when I try with fully exhaled lungs. My legs, however, remain quite negatively buoyant.

That said, with a full 3 and an AL80, I only need about 12# of weight to descend, and I probably could get by with less except that I use that weight for trim purposes. I use 20# in a 7mm suit with hood and gloves and AL80 and got by with 24# with a dry suit and a steel HP120 at the recent DUI Dog Day Demo. Again, with the heavier suits I spread the weight around to help alleviate my floaty belly and my sinky legs.

Keep practicing--it'll get better.

Everything enjoyable in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. I gave up the illegal and immoral--I'm NOT gonna quit eating!!

The reason I just used the word wing is because the BP is part of the weight needed to sink, making the total weight needed to sink pretty much the same. You do not have a 10# difference in weight needs, just a 10# difference on weight belt needs.

Then we're in violent agreement.

There has to be something like that, and probably more, going on if you need 20 pounds in a freshwater pool in a 3 mm shorty and are reasonably athletic in build. I think if we add all the different factors mentioned previously together to come up with the greatest weight need, you should not need 20 pounds. In exactly the same situation you describe, it is unusual for me to put more than 10 pounds on a student. From what you describe for yourself, I would probably have started you with 8 pounds, assuming you would be a bit heavy. The second day of class, after you are feeling more comfortable, I would expect to take some weight off you. I have been fooled before, but never by that much.

I am 6-0, 205. In the pool with a 3 mm shorty, I wear 6 pounds. That is because I want to be overweighted in case I need to deal with a student problem under water. (I may need to control an ascent.) I can actually dive in the pool with a 3mm shorty and an AL 80 with no weights at all.

I would really like to be there with you to troubleshoot the situation.

John is right.I would have started you out on 6 lbs and go to 8lbs if needed then once you calm down and get a relaxed breathing pattern you should be able to go back to 6lbs.Try using 8lbs and no air in bcd.No regulator in your mouth .No hand movement,no kicking. Can you still keep you head above the surface to breath with out kicking,no hand movement?Do you float or sink?I would guess you sink or have to kick to be able to breath.If you have to use ANY effort to stay on surface why do you need 20lbs??

Ok, just bought lots of cool new stuff. I am beginning to think that I might have always had some air my BCD. With my new stuff, 10 lbs (1/2 the weight) seems to do the trick, but I had my full length wet suit on this time. I am a floater though with nothing on, I can lie on my back with feet arms above the elbows and most of my head out of the water (in the pool). Drives my wife crazy, because she can beat a rock to the bottom.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am sure as I gain comfort, I may shed a couple of more lbs too.

My guess is the holding my breath thing. I have never been described as carrying a couple of extra pounds, and do a number of weekend warrior sports. Just more curious than anything, the thread in the other forum of what happens if you loose your weight got me thinking about how floaty I was. I too will swear I wasnt kicking :)

Thanks
As I recently returned to diving, I suffered from the same overweighting issue. Recently took the Buoyancy specialty and have dropped weight like crazy and improved breathe control. Every comment made by others to this post were on target. I did all the wrong things and I am finally starting to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom