Why Don't You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to dive at least twice a week most times more Dec, Jan and Feb a we bit less. I live in the middle of no where and it took me a year but I found about 30 places to dive within 1 hour of my house the closest being 5 miles away. It is mostly Creek and River diving but its still getting wet. There is a old flooded strip mine about a hour I get to do deep dives or to tweek new equipment before a trip. All of the places are also FREE...lol. I wish I could afford to head all over the world diving but if you want to dive all you have to do is look for water...:)

Well
In my case broken leg was one of the reasons for almost 6 months
:D
Now it's a cold....
Distance and work are another reasons - It's minimum 2,5 hours drive from Warsaw. And sometimes I ahve so much work that I have to stay at home for a weekend.
Plus another sports I do that also can be done only during the weekend (horse riding).
But I still dive, you know....
Mania

i've got classes on the weekends

The JOB thing sure gets in the way, without it I would have a lot more free time....

1) Work. I work very hectic 12 hour days. Before 8am and after 8 pm in a gooey green lake doesn't cut it. Luckily, I don't do this too many times a month.

2) Marriage. It's a good idea to spend some time with my spouse. He's not big on me not coming home until 8 or 9 pm every night of the week.

3) Need to get something else done. No matter how much I wish, all the other responsibilities of life simply won't disappear so I can go diving every day.

I'm really lucky, though. Local diving is virtually free (I prepaid my Nitrox for the year) in sites rich with marine life, and I literally have an overabundance of dive buddies -- I can't figure out how to get in the water with all the people I'd like to dive with, as often as I'd like to dive with them. No discipline needed -- I need discipline to stay OUT of the water.

Fish Wrangler:
Some people like diving just for the sake of diving. I see it differently: I don't dive for the same reason I do dive and that is the opportunity to see LOTS of critters and take photos.
This is a really good point. Getting wet for the sake of getting wet is ok occasionally but not really why I dive. I understand that some people like that and that's cool. Just not my thing, especially when there's so many other things I might do instead.

TSandM:
(I prepaid my Nitrox for the year)
Darn you and your money! :D

Seriously though, that's awesome that you have a dive shop that would let you pre-pay Nitrox for a YEAR. Too bad the shops around here don't do that.

I'm 15 miles and 25 minutes from numerous shore dive sites in Laguna Beach, California. A few reasons (or excuses? :D ) why I don't dive more than I should:

1) Dive buddy unavailability
2) Pleasure/effort ratio (terminology courtesy of previous post by Catherine) of beach diving
3) Ocean conditions (high surfs and strong surge at Laguna Beach past few weekends = poor visibility). Waiting for the Santa Ana winds to start blowing Laguna Beach and transform it into Lake Laguna.

Then just when I'm ready to dive every weekend, I go and injure my left shoulder at the gym... and now I've been dry for 4 weeks... will continue to be dry for another 2 weeks at least... :shakehead

BTW, last summer I was going away diving every single weekend. After a month and something I run out of clean underware - during the weekdays I didn't have time to do anything at home....
So finally I had to skip one weekend to do some house work
Mania

SparticleBrane:
Darn you and your money! :D

Seriously though, that's awesome that you have a dive shop that would let you pre-pay Nitrox for a YEAR. Too bad the shops around here don't do that.
It was one of the better ideas I've seen coming out of an LDS ... unlimited nitrox for a year for a fixed fee. Brought some of the area's most active divers into this one shop ... and those are the folks who aren't afraid to spend $$$ to support their habit. Another shop has since adopted the same program.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom