Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lots of things you can survive solo under water. Toxing from high PP02 is NOT one of them. Toxing is almost a death sentence with an experienced, trained and proactive dive buddy. There is no self rescue to that scenario - tox, drown and die. If you get entangled and are on the hot mix, which could well be over 2.0 PP02, for a couple of minutes at depth you will not be walking out of the water.

Posted by ianr33 & dumpsterDiver:
Suggesting that Catherine use a "hot" deco mix in a pony is plain stupid. (or equivalent)

Yes...let´s be nuanced...

-Catherine dives nitrox already...which kinda suggests she has the training and understands the consequences of the decisions she makes with regards to mixes...and can get the fills...
-It´s only hot below 60ft (if we´re talking 50%...but who says 40% isn´t better than air...or 32...)
-I didn´t suggest she should use it for all her dives...I merely pointed out another benefit of getting a pony for the dives where it makes sense (which is up to every diver to decide).

I do agree that there is no self-rescue (or any kind of rescue that you can "count on") once you oxtox but this is no news to any certified nitroxdiver

Some of my posts may have come off as "screw the pO2 limits recognized by the agencies" but that was not what I meant...I will exceed the 1.4 limit, at least for deco (which is what it would be...a controlled ascent to the surface), as taught by the agencies I´ve trained for and will for reasons that I deem justified, exceed that as well...

That about covers it, I think...

grazie42:
Yes...let´s be nuanced...

-Catherine dives nitrox already...which kinda suggests she has the training and understands the consequences of the decisions she makes with regards to mixes...and can get the fills...
-It´s only hot below 60ft
-I didn´t suggest she should use it for all her dives...I merely pointed out another benefit of getting a pony for the dives where it makes sense (which is up to every diver to decide).

I do agree that there is no self-rescue once you oxtox but this is no news to any certified nitroxdiver

That about covers it, I think...

No it does not cover it.

Catherine is nitrox certified. i.e. nitrox mixes up to 40%. One poster suggested carrying pure O2. Carrying pure O2 if not trained is asking for trouble.
Question: What happens if you go OOA at 120 feet and switch to a "pony" of 100% ?
Question: What can happen if you put a regular reg on a bottle of pure O2??
Question:How are you going to mark the pure O2?? A big NITROX sticker maybe??

catherine96821:
RH, with a big camera and strobe? maybe but I am not too strong. I think I need it centered and smaller. I can barely squat my Al 80.

I was diving a steel 120 and a BP/W and 2 pounds in my right pocket. Yeah, it is heavy on land, but if you have it slung, you can unclip it and hand it up before boarding the boat.

catherine96821:
mmmmm. yea, I feel better on Nitrox dives...so I would just use this at my last deco stp to blow out the nitrogen with the increased gradient .5 of O2?

You need an Advanced Nitrox card for those mixes and you would learn to sling a stage bottle at the same time.

Catherine is nitrox certified. i.e. nitrox mixes up to 40%. One poster suggested carrying pure O2. Carrying pure O2 if not trained is asking for trouble.
Question: What happens if you go OOA at 120 feet and switch to a "pony" of 100% ?
Question:How are you going to mark the pure O2?? A big NITROX sticker maybe??

Actually I think I´m the only one who´s even mentioned pure O2 before you and it was in the context of getting out of the water "cleaner/faster"...

Your questions are all answered in the nitrox class...if you (or anyone else) doesen´t know the answers, then I suggest you don´t dive nitrox at all...

I only put "nitrox" when in fact it says CSU3 or something like that on the cert...sometimes people don´t actually write the full titles of their certs...the only one who knows your cert level is YOU...the only one who knows the limits for that cert is YOU...I´m sure Catherine knows hers as well...

breath in, breath out...

ianr33:
No it does not cover it.

Maybe nothing.
ianr33:
Probably nothing
ianr33:
Question:How are you going to mark the pure O2?? A big NITROX sticker
maybe??
MOD

For my plan, that's one too many 'maybe' and one too many 'probably'. Solo deco without doubles is just over the edge for me. Adding a pony for solo seems a good plan, but only if it's used exclusively for bail out. Any other use and it negates any possible safety benefit. You can't have it both ways.

There's more testosterone than brains in this thread. Catherine, look what you've done. Now I know where ChrisCrash gets his motivation.

catherine96821:
RH, with a big camera and strobe? maybe but I am not too strong. I think I need it centered and smaller. I can barely squat my Al 80.

D, why does your head hurt?

Captain needs a helmet before a pony.

Captain does his own thing and doesn't preach to others what they should do.

grazie42:
I only put "nitrox" when in fact it says CSU3 or something like that on the cert...sometimes people don´t actually write the full titles of their certs...the only one who knows your cert level is YOU...the only one who knows the limits for that cert is YOU...I´m sure Catherine knows hers as well...

breath in, breath out...

The basic Nitrox card (here in the US) certifies you up to 40%. Richer mixes are considered technical diving and you need the training. As someone else pointed out, hot mixes are for deco bottles, not pony bottles. You need 02 cleaned cylinders/regs to dive mixes over 40%. And you need the training!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom